The Lord's Got This!



In 2010, I entered into the most "out of control" situation of my life - the deployment of my then future son-in-law to the front lines of Afghanistan.

It was a similar feeling to when I put my children on the bus to Kindergarten for the first time.  That feeling when your child is no longer under your constant care, and you are entrusting them to the care of the bus driver and ultimately the teachers at school.

Yet it was a completely different feeling because I was seeing my son-in-law off for nine months, with no guarantee he would return alive.  I don't add that for dramatic effect...  Indeed, his battery lost five Marines during that deployment...

And instead of entrusting a child I loved to a bus driver and teachers, I was entrusting my son-in-law to the care of my Heavenly Father.

I find that in the "out of control" times of my life, situations that are just too big for me to handle on my own, the only thing I can do is trust the Lord...  {I realize I should be trusting the Lord in ALL situations, and ultimately I do, but there is that struggle with self where I try to figure things out on my own before I actually pray.  The Holy Spirit is helping me with that though...}

Prior to my son-in-law's deployment, I searched the Scriptures for protection verses and formulated a prayer using them.   I printed the prayer off and laminated it; giving one to my son-in-law to carry in his pocket while deployed, and one for me.  I wanted him to remember every time he felt that laminated card in his pocket that I was praying for him, but most especially that the Lord was his strength.

The verse I found the most comfort in praying over my son-in-law was Isaiah 40:29-31

 He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
 Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This weekend, my Pastor shed a whole new light on the above passages, an insight that would have taken the out-of-control feeling I described earlier regarding my son-in-law's deployment to one of complete rest and surrender.

Our Pastor is currently working through the book of Matthew.  We are currently in the portion that addresses the end times.  The Pastor was sharing about many of the situations that are going on in the world that certainly can cause Believers, especially, to feel discouraged.

The systematic removal of God from every vestige He once held; the deterioration of traditional marriage; the breaking apart of the family unit; the killing of thousands upon thousand of unborn babies, wars and rumors of wars; calling good bad and bad good; the persecution of Christians; and the martyrdom of more and more Believers.

Yet the Pastor encouraged us that "Things are not falling apart.  They are actually coming together!  Just as God planned..."  

You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.
Matthew 24:6

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33

Like me, I'm sure many of you are very familiar with those words from Isaiah...  

He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak...

...but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.

quoting and praying them often...

But when the Pastor opened up the verses leading up to those very familiar words in Isaiah, it was then that I realized I was focusing on the strength and power that would be received; not on the Power of the One who was giving it.

Why do you complain, Jacob?
    Why do you say, Israel,
“My way is hidden from the Lord;
    my cause is disregarded by my God”?
 DO YOU NOT KNOW?
    HAVE YOU NOT HEARD?
  {emphasis mine}
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.
Isaiah 40:27-28

Our Pastor aptly summarized those verses into a very practical statement about the state of the world today...

THE LORD HAS GOT THIS!!

The Lord is not surprised by the attacks on Christians, marriage, family, the unborn, morality, His very name!

Our Lord and Savior is still on the throne and has never lost control.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DO YOU NOT KNOW?

HAVE YOU NOT HEARD?


THE LORD'S GOT THIS!!!

Your worries, your cares, your anxieties, your bitterness, your depression, your anger, your sicknesses, your trials, your tribulations, your addictions, your fears...

Your husbands, your wives, your children, your grandchildren, your relationships, your jobs, your finances, your homes...

NOTHING about our lives is hidden from the Lord...

O Lord, you have searched me and known me!
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
    you discern my thoughts from afar.
3 You search out my path and my lying down
    and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue,
    behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
5 You hem me in, behind and before,
    and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
    it is high; I cannot attain it.
7 Where shall I go from your Spirit?
    Or where shall I flee from your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
    If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
9 If I take the wings of the morning
    and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 even there your hand shall lead me,
    and your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
    and the light about me be night,”
12 even the darkness is not dark to you;
    the night is bright as the day,
    for darkness is as light with you.
Psalm 139:1-12

And NOTHING touches us without coming through His loving hands...

"When we put ourselves in God's hands, there is space for us to relax knowing that He has everything under His control."

Jarrid Wilson

This quote perfectly describes how I was able to relax as the months of my son-in-law's deployment went on.   Whether my son-in-law lived or died, I knew that the Lord had everything under His control, for His good purposes.

The Lord saw fit to abundantly bless my prayers for my son-in-law with not one, but three miracles where he escaped death in ways that could only be explained supernaturally - through the power of God's perfect will.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you feel yourself becoming weary or discouraged, whether it be about the state of the world or circumstances in your life, remember the Lord's got this!  He is your refuge and fortress, your God in whom you can trust.

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
3 Surely he will save you
    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
    and see the punishment of the wicked.
9 If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
    and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.”



You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & Truth Link-upWoman to Woman Ministries,  Growing in Grace Link-up, 3DLessonsLif4eInspire Me Monday Titus 2 TuesdayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeA Look at the Book,  Sunday StillnessThe Weekend BrewSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Give Me GraceA Little R&RTestimony TuesdayWomen with Intention WednesdaysStill SaturdayGood Morning MondaysTell His StoryFaith & Fellowship Blog HopMotivate and Rejuvenate MondaysBe SaltyMonday's MusingsThe Art of Home-Making MondayTuesday TalkWaiting on Wednesday, Reflect His Love and Glory  Words of Comfort Link-upWholehearted WednesdaysTell it to Me TuesdayFaithful at Home Fridays, Faith 'N FriendsTGI SaturdaysSitting Among Friends Encourage Me Monday Words with Winter Essential FridaysSo Much at Home Family, Friendship & Faith House to Home Intentional Tuesday ,Wonderful Wednesday , Monday of Many BlessingsLiteracy Musings Mondays,Imparting GraceSHINE Blog Hop Dance with JesusGive Me GraceBooknificent Thursdays UNITE Cozy Reading SpotMaking Your Home Sing Monday Social Butterfly Sundays  Let Us Grow Small Wonder Link-up









Comments

  1. Karen, I love your open, honest, transparent writing...it is so true that "out of control" hits home, we only have to trust our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Who is the Upholder of All Things--He sees the end from the beginning...I trust Him with my eternal salvation, I can trust Him with my loved ones and my next breath. Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, Thank you so much for always encouraging me in my writing. It means so much!

      Thank you for adding to the conversation. :-)

      Blessings to you too! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this great reminder. My son isn't feeling very well today, and we're looking for a new church home, so I needed to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, You are very welcome!

      Awe, sorry to hear your son wasn't feeling well. I hope he is already on the mend.

      We were recently in search of a new church home, and I think the Lord has shown us where He wants us to be. I knew this when I attended the first service and felt like "I had come home".

      Praying the Lord leads you to a church that makes you feel the same way.

      Blessings.

      Delete
  3. This is so good!!

    "Things are not falling apart. They are actually coming together! Just as God planned..."

    You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.
    Matthew 24:6

    I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
    John 16:33

    I am sharing this on my Facebook wall. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, Thank you!

      Yes, when my Pastor said that profound statement it made me realize "yes, exactly!"

      Awe, thank you for the share. I appreciate it!

      Blessings.

      Delete
  4. I needed this. Big changes coming to our family and I just have to trust that God has it all under control. His ways are perfect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I'm glad the Lord used this post to bring comfort to your situation. All praise and honor to Him!

      Blessings.

      Delete
  5. Dear friend! This post was SO comforting to me tonight. There is really nothing in this world that we have any control over, and trusting the dear Lord is truly our only option. So, why do I insist upon holding onto situations that I have the delusion of being in control over? I don't know. I must really try the Lord's patience. Thank you ever so much for your faithfulness to God here and for your precious comments left at my blog. I appreciate you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, It blesses me to hear that the Lord comforted you through this post. All praise and Glory to Him!

      Your statement about having the delusion of being in control of things really resonated with me as I delude myself that way far too often.

      Cheryl, thank you so much for being such a cheerleader to my blog. It means so, so much to me.

      Blessings to you. Keeping your family close in prayer.

      Delete
  6. what a great twist on hearing "bad" news about our world. lately, it has troubled me when i hear christians wringing their hands over the bad things happening in our world...largely b/c i feel we need to be encouraged that GOD is in control and all of what is happening is part of His plan. i forgot to think about the fact that the worse things get, the more likely He is coming:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, Thank you for sharing in the conversation! I appreciated your insights very much!

      Indeed!

      Blessings.

      Delete
  7. "... it was then that I realized I was focusing on the strength and power that would be received; not on the Power of the One who was giving it."
    There's the power phrase right there, for me. How many times have I done that very thing...? Too many.
    Glad I was your neighbour at the #TellHistory linkup today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, Thank you for taking the time to comment and to share how this post resonated with you. It means so much!

      I'm glad you were too! :-)

      Delete
  8. "Things are not falling apart. They are actually coming together! Just as God planned..."
    I really really really like your pastor's quote! All of this is just as God has planned. Why do I question the God who knows it all. Wow. Thanks you for these encouraging words. visiting from #tellhisstory #6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina, I know! :-) When he said that it was like an "aah haa moment".

      You are very welcome!

      Delete
  9. Hi Karen, I am in that place at the moment, practicing trust and leaving stuff in God's hands with regards to my daughter. Really tough place to be in, to release them to Him. But who else in our universe could love them and care for them any better than He?
    Great post
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, It certainly is... Praying for comfort and peace as you trust in the Lord for your daughter.

      Indeed!

      Thank you for your kind words.

      Blessings.

      Delete
  10. Karen, those are such comforting scriptures and it's really true that nothing surprises God. He has got everything under control. We only see a small part but He sees the whole picture. He has given me peace on more than one occasion and reminds me that I need to trust and not worry. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayl, Thank you so much for adding to the conversation. Your words are a blessing. :-)

      Blessings to you too!

      Delete
  11. Amen! Aren't we blessed to be His children and to know He controls the reins and nothing is hidden from His sight? Truly powerful scripture and the key to remember when life gets rough. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, Indeed!! :-)

      You are welcome! Thanks for joining in the conversation. :-)

      Delete
  12. Karen, I've reminded myself often lately that - the Lord's got this! It's easy to start hand-wringing. But by God's grace . . . no more. I'm so glad the Lord brought your son-in-law home safely. Praising Him along with you. Many blessings and Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, Thank you. I am so thankful for the Lord's great mercy concerning my son-in-law.

      Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate them! :-)

      Delete
  13. I'm relieved to hear that your son-in-law was spared so many times! What an exercise in trust. I know that our faith grows the most in those kind of trying times, but those are still times I would rather avoid if possible. Thank you, Lord, for mercy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, Thank you. It was surreal to hear about when he returned home, but I know without a shadow of a doubt that it was those Scripture prayers that covered him over with the Lord's protection.

      I'm right there with you. I certainly would rather avoid difficult situations than walk through them. But the Lord gives us new mercies every morning and for every situation.

      Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and your kind words. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts