Soda Thirsty



We've all experienced the dreaded stomach virus.  When I was a child, it seemed our family always suffered with a bout of it around Christmas time.  

One particular year our entire family was stricken with the stomach bug within hours of each other! 

My brother and I had bedrooms UPSTAIRS, and the only bathroom in the house was DOWNSTAIRS.

Before my dad was too incapacitated, he set up a cot in the living room for my brother, and I stayed on the couch.

It was nothing short of amazing that two or four of us didn't need to use the bathroom simultaneously.
At one point, I was coming back from the bathroom and just made it around the corner and literally flipped over the armrest onto the couch where I proceeded to stay with my legs dangling over the side, too weak to move.  I remember thinking, "Well, this is it.  Both my parents are sick in bed and I'm too weak to call for help."  LOL.

We all survived, and my mom and I ended up laughing about the fact that we couldn't handle the smell of the Christmas bayberry candle in the kitchen anymore because it reminded us of that fateful night.

There's something about the thirst you feel after a stomach virus that is so profound.  Made worse by the fact that you can't chug water because your stomach can't handle it yet.  My mom had the perfect remedy - ice chips!  I remember sucking on those chips and couldn't wait for the go-ahead to have some ginger-ale.  Soda was not something we normally had at our house, but for stomach bug recovery, it was the perfect way to satisfy the incredible thirst and calm a sour stomach.

I don't know what it is about soda.  Maybe because I rarely if ever have it, but even when I have a particularly salty meal that makes me very thirsty, I will say to my husband, "I am soda thirsty!" and will guzzle down whatever drink is available in the house.  LOL.

Merriam-Webster defines thirst as an uncomfortable feeling that is caused by the need for something to drink;  a very great need for something to drink

 I'd say that sums up physical thirst perfectly!

But we also experience thirst at an emotional level...

Merriam Webster defines emotional thirst as a strong desire for something...

Are you thirsty something?  What are you thirsting after?

When I first started to dabble in playing the piano, one of the hymns I could play somewhat okay was As the Deer.  The first stanza would always convict me.

As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul longeth after thee
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship thee

I would ask myself, "Do I pant after God like a deer searching for water?"  "Does my soul long after Him?"  "Is Jesus my heart's desire?"  "Do I long to worship him?"

They say that what you think most about during the day is what your heart desires.  That which is on your mind first thing in the morning, throughout the day, and as you close your eyes to sleep...

Can I honestly say that the Lord is my first thought upon awakening or that thoughts of Him captivate my mind throughout the day or that Jesus is on my mind as I fall asleep?  To truly thirst after God, to be in true fellowship with Him, not seeking God for things, but seeking God for Him and Him alone. That my desire to be with the Lord would be so strong, I would forsake everything else, to drink at the Wellspring of Life.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Matthew 5:6

God promises us that when we hunger and thirst for righteousness, we WILL be filled!

Where does a Godly thirst come from?

Matthew Henry says in his commentary that "those who hunger and thirst after righteousness are happy. Righteousness is here put for all spiritual blessings. These are purchased for us by the righteousness of Christ, confirmed by the faithfulness of God. Our desires of spiritual blessings must be earnest.  Though all desires for grace are not grace, yet such a desire as this, is a desire of God's own raising, and he will not forsake the work of his own hands."

 The Benson Commentary says to, "Perseveringly desire universal holiness of heart and life, or deliverance from all sinful dispositions and practices, and a complete restoration of their souls to the image of God in which they were created: a just and beautiful description this of that fervent, constant, increasing, restless, and active desire; of that holy ardour and vehemence of soul in pursuit of the most eminent degrees of universal goodness which will end in complete satisfaction."

The Jamieson-Fausett-Brown commentary says "spiritual and entire conformity to the law of God, under the want of which the saints groan, and the possession of which constitutes the only true saintship."

How many times have I cried with Paul, "For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate."

But God... He has shown us how to walk in the very righteousness He has clothed us in


Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness WILL BE FILLED!  

We hunger and thirst for God when we perseveringly desire to live Holy and set apart lives.

We hunger and thirst for God when our spirits groan within us to be freed from the bondage of besetting sins.

Like the salty food that made me soda thirsty, a steady diet of God's Word and fellowship with Him will season our hearts and increase our thirst for the Lord...

So that...
Our souls will long after God.


And...

He alone will be our heart's desire.   



Heavenly Father,

You have placed a strong desire within me to seek after you with my whole heart, and You have promised that I will find You.  I am already clothed in the righteousness of Christ.  My sins that once were scarlett have been washed white as snow by the blood of the Lamb.

Thank you for your patience with me, and for Your ever-present help.

You promise me that when I seek after righteousness, I will be filled.  You will not forsake the work of your hands.

Father I come to you asking for a thirst like that of a deer panting after water, for a soul that longs for you morning, noon and night, and a heart whose only desire is You, My Lord and My God.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & Truth Link-upWoman to Woman Ministries,  Growing in Grace Link-up, 3DLessonsLif4eInspire Me Monday Titus 2 TuesdayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeA Look at the Book,  Sunday StillnessThe Weekend BrewSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Give Me Grace, Testimony TuesdayWomen with Intention WednesdaysStill SaturdayGood Morning MondaysTell His StoryFaith & Fellowship Blog HopMotivate and Rejuvenate MondaysBe SaltyMonday's MusingsThe Art of Home-Making MondayTuesday TalkWaiting on Wednesday, Reflect His Love and Glory  Words of Comfort Link-upWholehearted WednesdaysTell it to Me TuesdayFaithful at Home Fridays, Faith 'N FriendsTGI SaturdaysSitting Among Friends Encourage Me Monday Words with Winter Essential FridaysSo Much at Home Family, Friendship & Faith House to Home  ,Wonderful Wednesday , Monday of Many BlessingsLiteracy Musings Mondays,Imparting GraceSHINE Blog Hop Dance with JesusGive Me GraceBooknificent Thursdays UNITE Cozy Reading SpotMaking Your Home Sing Monday Social Butterfly Sundays  Let Us Grow Small Wonder Link-up Winsome Wednesday Growing in Grace Thursday After My CoffeeRewind Friday Fresh Market Friday Moments of Hope Wonderful Wednesdays Christian Blogger Link-Up Tea & Word Tuesday Heart Encouragement Thursday Hearts for Home

Comments

  1. Thirst is a beautiful word...one I want to study more too. The various commentaries are interesting and even from names I have not heard of before, like The Benson Commentary. The others I have but the words are still profound and new for me. I thirst, but do I really thirst for God as I should? Thank you so much for this. I am blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, You are so right. It truly does convey the intense feeling of the word.

      I hadn't heard of that commentary either.

      You are very welcome.

      You have blessed me with your visit. :-)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful words and so edifying to me today. I loved reading the commentators words on this, too. I am so sorry you all had to endure those awful bouts with the stomach virus. I remember one such time we had in our home after all of us ate pimiento lunch meat!! To this day, I can't stand the looks of it. Isn't that something how negative things leave such strong memories? Thank you for your precious friendship, encouragement, and presence in my life. I SO appreciated your sweet email the other night and want to tell you that God is helping us. I can feel the weight of your prayers. Sending you much love and gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl! Praising God that you found edification here.

      That's how I am with pumpkin this year after last year's bout with the stomach virus right after having pumpkin pie. And all these blog post thumbnails with pumpkin this and pumpkin that recipes. Haha!

      An excellent reminder to not inflict negativity on others.

      Praising God that you are seeing answers to prayer. May the God of peace strengthen you and encourage you in the days and weeks ahead.

      Blessings sweet friend. Your comments always mean the world to me!

      Delete
  3. I loved ginger ale as a child when I had the stomach virus! I love the idea of thirsting for God and all the scriptures depicting such a yearning and need..it's the only way to describe that ache for God -- it truly is a desert feeling of having no water when we need God..just love this blog today! Visiting from next door at #testimonytuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, Thanks for adding to the conversation. I appreciate it!

      Thank you for your kind words. So glad you stopped by!

      Blessings.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for reminding me where my "thirst" should be this week. I find myself focusing on too many things already and you have helped to put that focus back in check. More than anything I just want to be with HIM. Thanks for the encouragement to keep thirsty for the right things. Your neighbor at #tellhisstory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, You are very welcome!

      Yes, it is so true that thirsting helps us to focus on the Lord and helps us not to find ourselves in the situation of focusing on too many things. I know that I am guilty of that far too often.

      Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here, and as the silly meme says, "Stay Thirsty My Friends". ;-)

      Delete
  5. May God give us such a thirst for him that we continually seek after him in all that we do. Blessings to you, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these soul-searching thoughts and the prayer.
    I love that song, too. But you're right, sometimes we go astray in one way or another and find that we are not thirsting after Him as much as we once did. We need Him to bring us back to that place of true worship where the distractions fade and He is the One we love the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, You are very welcome!

      Thank you so much for joining in the conversation. I appreciate it so much!

      Amen!

      Blessings,

      Delete
  7. Oh, boy! Your story brings to mind an awful New Year's Eve that we had--fortunatley, we had just added a second bathroom to our tiny house :). I, too, want to thirst for Jesus. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I figured my story would resonate with many. lol.

      Thanks for sharing.

      You are very welcome!

      Delete
  8. Loved it - reminded me of the one that I posted the other day with this favorite verse of mine - As the deer pants for the water! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I find so often there are "themes" to blog posts on any given week. As if the Lord has a lesson for me that He is using different bloggers and His own prompting in me to grow me in that area.

      Thanks for your kind words! I appreciate them! :-)

      Delete
  9. Karen -- I was so right there with you flopping over the arm of the sofa. LOL oh and the smell of the candle being associated with that night - totally understand. You pose such a great question.. do I thirst after God like the deer? Sometimes yes, but not like I should, it is the very thing that will satisfy everything in my life. It is essential. thanks for your words that have be now pondering things in my life today. I am your neighbor at Meg's #TeaAndWord

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, Haha!

      Thanks so much for joining in the conversation.

      You are very welcome!

      Praise God.

      Blessings.

      Delete
  10. I love this post. It reminds me of the back tracking I had to do recently, as my thirst veered off a bit and so I took steps to get refocused on God's path. Sometimes the enemy does sneak attacks and we don't realize it until we've walked a bit and find a lesson in retrospect. So glad for His mercies and that He gave me heart that is sensitive to Him. Thanks for linking up at #TeaAndWord last week friend. Your words are so deep and full of the good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, Thank you so much for sharing your story.

      Amen! His mercies are new every morning, and His love draws us to Himself.

      Praise God!

      Thank you for your kind words.

      Blessings,

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts