Let the Leaves Fall



As most of you know, I have a granddaughter, Lexi.  She is already two-and-a-half years old!  I don't know where the time has gone, but it has flown by!

Lexi is an absolute delight, and a beauty at that with long golden banana curls, long lashes that shield striking gray blue eyes, an adorable button nose and the cutest lisp.  To look at her, you would think she would be a girly girl who loved to wear dresses and hair bows.  I may be typecasting here, but you know what I mean.  ;-)

Lexi is anything but a girly girl.  I always tease my son-in-law that Lexi may be the son he'll never have.  lol.

Lexi LOVES the outdoors and all that God's creation has to offer under His great canopy.   On walks, she stops to inspect everything whether it be plant-life or bug-life.  From the time she could walk, her favorite past time is stopping to smell every flower that she happens upon.   But then, she can't resist the urge to pick them.  We are working on letting the flowers stay happy, rooted in the ground.   One such teachable moment, Lexi looked perplexed, showing me the wilted dandelion that she had picked earlier.  I told her that the flower was sad now because it wasn't in the ground anymore.  Now, whenever she sees a wilted flower, she tells me, "Mimi, that flower is sad."  I just love her!!

Aren't Pansies just the happiest looking flowers?  :-)


And flowers aren't the only things Lexi likes to pick up.  She has no problem picking up bugs!  I hide my squeamishness as much as I can.  Eeeek!!  This Mimi does not like bugs!  lol.  Lexi is just fascinated with them.  She gets that from her daddy who at a very young age just loved bugs.  So much so that everyone thought he was going to grow up to be an entomologist.  lol

I love to watch Lexi study anything new.  Her brows furrow and you can see the little wheels in her head turning as she processes and learns all she can from her experience.

And Lexi is sooo observant!  I am always amazed by what she takes away from her observations.

For example, a couple of weeks ago, my daughter and I were out in my front yard with Lexi near my apple tree which had already shed most of it's leaves.  {My granddaughter has been obsessed with our apple tree.   Whenever she comes over she will yell from the car, "Apples!  Apples!"  lol.}  All that covered the ground beneath the apple tree this particular day were the dried up leaves that had fallen to the ground prematurely; the animals already having feasted on the apples that once lay there.

This is not our yard, by the way, but an orchard.  ;-)

My daughter and I were chatting away when Gabrielle noticed that Lexi was underneath the apple tree very carefully picking up a fallen leaf and trying to reattach it to the tree!  She patiently tried several times, and managed to get the leaf to stick on to the end of the branch.

Do you ever find yourself trying to attach the dead leaves of your life back on again?  Is there an emotional hurt that you keep replaying over and over again?  Are there insecurities that you ascribe to yourself again and again?  Are there fears that you have given over to the Lord, only to pick them back up again?  Is there an area where you have died to self, but end up walking in the flesh once again?

I think we can all have a tendency to reaffix a dead leaf or two back into our lives.

Or, like the Oak tree, we carry our dead leaves for a long time...

Early cold weather and early frosts interrupt the process by which oak leaves die and fall from their branches.  Their leaves hold fast to the branches and shield the new buds which will eventually come in the Springtime.

We wear our dead leaves like a shield, don't we?   When we find ourselves in harsh circumstances, be it emotional, physical or spiritual, we tend to stop the process of letting go or dying to self.   Instead, we carry our hurts, and prevent new growth.

Let us learn from the deciduous tree whose leaf drop benefits the tree by reducing water loss, and allows the tree to develop leaves that efficiently use available sunlight during warmer seasons.

When we cast our cares upon our Savior or when we die to self out of obedience and gratitude to the Lord, we will continually drink from the Streams of Living Water and will soak up the Sonlight efficiently, making our joy complete and our fruit abundant.


Truly, truly, I say to you, 
unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, 
it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.
John 12:24



You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & Truth Link-upWoman to Woman Ministries,  Growing in Grace Link-up, 3DLessonsLif4eInspire Me Monday Titus 2 TuesdayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeA Look at the Book,  Sunday StillnessThe Weekend BrewSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Give Me Grace, Testimony TuesdayWomen with Intention WednesdaysStill SaturdayGood Morning MondaysTell His StoryFaith & Fellowship Blog HopMotivate and Rejuvenate MondaysBe SaltyMonday's MusingsThe Art of Home-Making MondayTuesday TalkWaiting on Wednesday, Reflect His Love and Glory  Words of Comfort Link-upWholehearted WednesdaysTell it to Me TuesdayFaithful at Home Fridays, Faith 'N FriendsTGI SaturdaysSitting Among Friends Encourage Me Monday Words with Winter Essential FridaysSo Much at Home Family, Friendship & Faith House to Home  ,Wonderful Wednesday , Monday of Many BlessingsLiteracy Musings Mondays,Imparting GraceSHINE Blog Hop Dance with JesusGive Me GraceBooknificent Thursdays UNITE Cozy Reading SpotMaking Your Home Sing Monday Social Butterfly Sundays  Let Us Grow Small Wonder Link-up Winsome Wednesday Growing in Grace Thursday After My CoffeeRewind Friday Fresh Market Friday Moments of Hope Wonderful Wednesdays Christian Blogger Link-Up Tea & Word Tuesday Heart Encouragement Thursday Hearts for Home Messy Marriage Link-up Friday at the Fire Station Link-up Tune In Thursday Faith on Fire Link-upSunday Scripture Blessings Link-up, Warriors of the WordCandidly Christian Link-upSunday ThoughtsWriter WednesdayFaith Filled Friday

Comments

  1. One of my favorite verses. I wonder at it since it means dying to self- but then again, we were born to do that - and that brings fruit and life. thanks for your truths from the trees! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I love the insight you shared. "We were born to do that". I never thought of it in those terms, but indeed your are exactly right.

      Thanks so much for sharing, and you are very welcome! :-)

      Delete
  2. These questions have me really thinking this morning: Do you ever find yourself trying to attach the dead leaves of your life back on again? Is there an emotional hurt that you keep replaying over and over again? Are there insecurities that you ascribe to yourself again and again? Are there fears that you have given over to the Lord, only to pick them back up again? Is there an area where you have died to self, but end up walking in the flesh once again?

    Your spiritual application is perfect, and wonder how much of this has to do with returning to what we are comfortable with instead of pressing through to the other side...to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, Thank you so much for your kind words.

      I think you are absolutely right.

      Thanks so much for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  3. I am answering yes to most of Crystal's questions above me. Ouch! Dead leaves are beautiful when they are green, filled with life-giving chlorophyll, gorgeous when the changing colors appear in the Fall, and then they lose their pizazz when dead and on the ground. Yet, the purpose for that is just as important as the rest of the cycle, just as our lives. I am about to turn 70 and that feels awfully close to that leaf on the ground, yet I know that in God's timing, I will meet Him. For now, I am one of those colorful leaves, changing with each day. Given me much food for thought, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, Thank you so much for adding to the conversation and sharing your own personal thoughts. I appreciate it so much. :-)

      Praising God you received food for thought.

      Blessings,

      Delete
  4. This is SO GOOD! I think you are right --I think we have all tried to reattach some 'dead leaves' in our lives! And who wouldn't prefer fruit over dead dried up leaves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karrilee, Thank you so much for your kind words.

      You are so right! Fruit is much better than dried up leaves. :-)

      Blessings,

      Delete
  5. Such a great insight to ponder! Do you ever find yourself trying to attach the dead leaves of your life back on again? Our God is a God of mercy and forgiveness! We don't have to continue to remain in the same rut over and over. God allows us to have rebirth and new growth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, Thank you so much for your kind words and for adding to the conversation. I appreciate it so much!

      Blessings,

      Delete
  6. I love this. It reminds me of the scripture about how Jesus prunes the dead branches or gets rid of the chaff. It's meant to be cleansing and it's meant to be good for us...to lean on him and to learn the way to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing that insight about how pruning is meant to be cleansing. I never thought of it that way, but you are so right.

      Blessings,

      Delete
  7. Karen, I love this post. What a joy your granddaughter must be. And I love pansies. They might be my favorite flower.

    We all need the joy and excitement of observing things just like your granddaughter. And how we need to trust our Savior to keep and guide.

    Blessings to you! I'm your neighbor at #TuneInThursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayl, I'm so glad. That encourages me so much!

      Oh she is! When people ask me about her I just start stuttering because I can't even describe adequately the joy she brings me.

      Pansies are my favorite flower too!

      Amen. Thank you so much for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  8. So much wisdom here I can't pinpoint the one that touched me most. But the verse, always God's Word reminding me to trust His plan and purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, All praise to my Heavenly Father.

      Thank you so much for sharing here.

      Blessings,

      Delete
  9. Grandchildren bring new insights to us, don't they? I enjoyed reading about your Lexi and the thoughts about past hurts (dead leaves).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, They sure do! :-D

      Aw. I'm so glad. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. This is very well written and an inspiration to my soul. Thank you for sharing via Literacy Musing Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tami, Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words.

      You are welcome!

      Delete
  11. Thank you for you beautiful blog and lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ariella, You are very welcome!

      Thank you for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  12. Autumn is such a powerful object lesson! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, dear friend! This is just profound...I am just SO moved by this post. SO much truth in the leaves illustration. God uses you in so many wonderful ways, and I cannot thank Him enough for the many gifts you bring and share. May the dear Lord bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cheryl, Your words here just blessed me immensely! Praising God for knitting us together, iron sharpening iron.

      Blessings to you too sweet friend.

      Delete
  14. Karen this reminds me so much of some things I wrote about in next week's TeaAndWord. Wow, thank you for putting it this way! Sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, Isn't it awesome when we see common themes threaded through other bloggers and to know the Lord knits us together that way.

      And thank you for sharing. I appreciate it!

      Delete
  15. Hey Dear,
    Very Nice and striking Blog. Thank you for Sharing This Information and also for giving important knowledge. Very Useful.

    https://www.lukhidiamond.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lukhi, Thank you for your kind words about my blog. All Glory to God!

      You are welcome.

      Delete
  16. Apples may or may not keep the doctor away but keeping His Word keeps the devil at bay. It is a good thing to instill children with a good work ethic and honesty, better still to teach them to belong to the Lord. Visiting from Wise Woman, thanks Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca, Thanks so much for sharing in the conversation! I appreciate it so much!

      You're welcome!

      Blessings,

      Delete
  17. Piseth, Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts