It's ALL good


We've all been there...  Those annoyances that make us very frustrated - interrupt "our plans".

One such annoyance happened to my husband and I on our anniversary when we were very much looking forward to attending a concert.  We didn't have great seats, but it didn't matter, because we were going to see our favorite country artist.   Upon our arrival to the venue, we showed the attendant our tickets and were directed to our seats.  Except...  mine was on one side of an "underpass" and my husband's was on the other side!  A chasm of 50 feet between us!   Feeling this was unacceptable, my husband and I went to the ticket desk and explained our situation.  We were then told, "come with me", and followed the attendant back into the concert arena where we kept walking down through each of the lower levels.  My husband and I looked at each other somewhat confused.  We were then being led across the bottom floor of the arena to our FRONT ROW SEATS!!!   We couldn't believe it!  We now had front row seats to our favorite country music singer!

This is just one example of many in my life where frustration turned into elation.  I think I can confidently say that we all have experienced annoyances which have turned into something wonderful.

In fact, now when something like that happens, I will say to my husband with expectation, "I wonder what wonderful thing awaits us?"

I have recently been reading Acts where the Apostle Paul was no stranger to hardships redirecting "his plans".

And he spoke against the Hellenists.  But they were seeking to kill him.  And when the brothers learned this, they brought him down to Caesarea and sent him off to Tarsus.  Acts 9:29-30

There was a plot afoot among both Gentiles and Jews, together with their leaders, to mistreat them and stone them. But they found out about it and fled to the Lycaonian cities of Lystra and Derbe and to the surrounding country.
 Acts 14:5-6

Last night an Angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me and said, 'Do not be afraid Paul.  You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.'  So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me.  Nevertheless, we must run aground on some island.  Acts 27:23-26

These verses and many more show how Paul's entire ministry was constantly being redirected or "as it would seem" halted with his imprisonment.  In 2 Corinthians chapter 11 Paul lists the many hardships he endured - beaten with rods, stoned, 39 lashes, shipwrecked and many more...  

But we know that the Apostle Paul's ministry accomplished ALL that God intended it to with the Gospel being spread from Asia to Europe.

For me personally two such "hardships" moved me to serve the Lord in unexpected ways.

The first came when my daughter married and moved clear across the country.  I missed her terribly.  Nothing prepared me for the emotions I would feel.  There was a grieving process - like a death...   The way I processed this "grief" was to redo her bedroom.  It became a labor of love.  I created a guest room that had something special in it for all family members who would stay in it; most especially for when my daughter and her husband would come to visit.  As I worked in the room, I spent a lot of time "talking to Jesus", my best Friend...   I spent much time in prayer and in His Word.

It was during this new season of life that I was called to serve as Bible study leader and also as a mentor for Mothers of Preschoolers.  God's timing was perfect!  As I served the women in these different roles, the Lord brought healing to the emptiness and sadness I felt missing my daughter. The very women He called me to serve, were bringing me encouragement and comfort - women who understood this season of life and young women who became as daughters to me.  

For His Glory, God redeemed that very sad time in my life as I shared the Gospel, discipled and mentored.   For good, the Lord showed me the many blessings of depending on Him as I experienced His strength, wisdom and love.

The second "hardship" came when my son-in-law (who was my daughter's boyfriend at the time) was deployed to Afghanistan on the front lines.  The only way I "survived" having someone who was like a son be in that situation was trusting in the Lord through fervent prayer for care and protection.  I cannot even convey my gratitude to the Lord for the miraculous ways my son-in-law's life was spared not once but three times! 

My son-in-law called me from Afghanistan one evening.  I was amazed at the clear connection we had - even from across the world!  We were able to talk for a half hour!  It was such a blessing, in more ways than one...

I had sent him special combat socks in a care package.  He was telling me that they were the best combat socks he had ever worn and wished they were Marine issued.

It was after that conversation with my son-in-law that the Lord laid it upon my heart to start a ministry to the U.S. Marines.  The desire of my heart was to send a pair of special combat socks with a personal letter of encouragement and a Gospel of John tract to individual Marines.  The Lord then opened the doors for my husband and I to start the Ephesians 6:15 Sock Ministry.  Since 2012, our ministry has been blessed, through fundraising, with collecting $7000, and has reached over 975 Marines with the Gospel!

For His great Glory, the Lord redeemed one of the most anxious times of my life through the Ephesians 6:15 Sock Ministry.  For good, to encourage me that the Lord, through His power, uses sinful, flawed people like myself  to be His instrument to do something great for His kingdom.

If you are in a difficult season of life, I hope you will be encouraged that the Lord will redeem it for His glory and your good. 

 If you feel the Lord has laid ministry work on your heart, but their seem to be "roadblocks" "detours" or "hardships", take comfort from the Apostle Paul trusting that the Lord will use you to serve in His perfect place at His perfect time for His Glory.



The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul that seeks Him.  Lamentations 3:25

So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me. Acts 27:25

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you feel led to learn more about the Ephesians 6:15 Sock Ministry, you can click here:  

You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & Truth Link-up, Woman to Woman Ministries,  Growing in Grace Link-up, Titus 2 Tuesday Link-up, 3DLessons4LifeLivefree ThursdayEveryday Jesus

Comments

  1. very good read - thank you! (sure wish your sock ministry was around when I was Marine - those socks would have been so appreciated! ) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for always offering encouraging words. They are a blessing. :-)

      Delete
  2. WOW, Karen...I am so glad you came to my site tonight for I am here now and have been beautifully blessed. You have encouraged my heart to look for those God-gifts in the midst of seems frustration or sadness or grief or ...so many other things. I am especially touched by the Sock Ministry. I am a Navy kid and married to a Vietnam Vet and have lived across the street from a now-retired EOD career Naval man. I, too, began a ministry through his numerous times to Iraq. I continue to be blessed by the "thank you" cards and words I give out to military I recognize by a hat, a sticker on a car, or ??
    Thank you for what you and your husband are doing for those Marines and praise God for His hand upon you both.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting!

      Thank you for your service to our military as well. :-)

      I never ceased to be amazed at how the Lord "orders our steps" to meet kindred believers.

      Delete
  3. What wonderful encouragement to not give up! How you always turned your challenges into a way to love others is doubly encouraging! BTW - so glad you ended up with front row seats,too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Karen! I feel that this could be the beginning of something beautiful! I love your post... and your heart for the military. I am an army wife and my little brother is dabbling with the thought of joining the marines.

    So glad to "meet" you. Thanks for joining our little community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a warm welcome and your words of encouragement!

      It's been such a blessing to meet kindred spirits, like yourself, through blogging. When I visit those blogs, I feel like I'm visiting with them "at their home". There is such a welcoming and warmth about it.

      Thank you for the blessing!

      Delete
  5. Woo Hoo front row seats!!! When you least expected it you were blessed. What a great way to look at things. Our God knows the plans He lays before us we just need to relax because it really is "all good". Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting. :-)

      And thank you for the encouraging words!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts