How to Dwell with God on Busy Days





In the beginning was the Word, 
and the Word was with God, 
and the Word was God.  
He was with God in the beginning... 

In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.  
The light shines in the darkness, 
and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:1-2; 4-5


Have you every really sat and pondered this great mystery - the Word made flesh?  

I confess, I hadn't until the other night when I was reading from Colossians 2:2b-3 where Paul says, 

...that they may know the mystery of God, 
namely, Christ, in whom are hidden 
all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Do you see that??  All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Christ!  Where do we find the treasures of Wisdom?  The Word of  God - The Word made Flesh.

This revelation was amazing to me!  When I read the Word of God or better yet, continue to meditate on that very Word of God throughout the day, it is then that I am truly dwelling with Christ.

I've always struggled with this question...  

How do I actually dwell with Christ?  

It's not like dwelling with your husband or family where you physically see them right in front of you  OR dwelling with co-workers as you physically labor side by side OR dwelling with friends who are sitting across the table from you with a cup of coffee - all the while conversing back and forth.

How do I dwell with Christ when I can't see him or audibly hear him speak?

I know that when we pray, we are actively communicating with Jesus, thereby, in very essence, dwelling with Him. 

But I confess, when I pray, I can become so easily distracted, that it doesn't feel like I am dwelling with Christ at all, ESPECIALLY during day to day activities when I am otherwise preoccupied.

I guess you could say this was a real AHH HAA moment for me...

I can dwell fully with Christ Jesus by meditating upon and thinking upon the Word of God throughout the day - for the Word of God IS the very flesh of Jesus.  

Oh the manifold benefits of dwelling with Christ Jesus!

When we meditate upon the Word of God, we are continually putting on the new self, daily being renewed.

and have put on the new self, 
which is being renewed in knowledge 
after the image of its creator.
Colossians 3:10

but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, 
that by testing you may discern 
what is the will of God, 
what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Romans 12:2b

Oh how wonderful it is to know that when we dwell with Christ, through meditating upon His Word, we are continually putting to death the old man and being remade in the likeness of our Creator...

...our minds are being renewed to know the will of God; to know what is good, acceptable and perfect.

continue to live your lives in Him,  
rooted and built up in Him, 
strengthened in the faith as you were taught...  
See to it that no one takes you captive 
through hollow and deceptive philosophy, 
which depends on human tradition
and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.
Colossians 2:6b-8


As I mentioned earlier, I struggle with "breath prayers" because I am either hyperfocused on the daily  task at hand or distracted by being pulled in different directions.

I tend to focus more when I am reflecting upon the Word of God.

In no way am I discounting prayer - by any stretch.  I certainly do pray!

It is just for me, dwelling in the Word made flesh, serves as an actionable plan for my own spiritual walk, and I would imagine for many of you as well.

Excitedly, I pondered all that the Lord had shown me during my devotion and Bible reading time a couple of nights ago.  (In the next week or two, I will be sharing more about how nighttime Bible reading has revolutionized the quality of my time in the Word.)  It was then that I decided to daily make note of a stand-out verse or Bible concept that spoke to me the night before and then, record it on my Aida Reminder App. - an app that allows me to set hourly reminders throughout the day.  

Every hour of the next day the Bible verse I choose to meditate upon the night before will light up my smartphone's lock screen with a pop-up of the verse.  This way, no matter where I am or what I am doing, I will be able to glance down at my phone when the notification alert sounds, which btw has a nice melodic sound  :-) , bringing the verse to my remembrance for thinking upon and meditating upon...

With every hour that passes, I find I am thinking about the verse even before the next alert pops up!   The more I think about the verse, the more I will put feet to the verse.

But be doers of the Word, 
and not hearers only, 
deceiving yourselves. 
James 1:22

This Book of the Law 
shall not depart from your mouth, 
but you shall meditate on it day and night, 
so that you may be careful
 to do according to all that is written in it. 
For then you will make your way prosperous, 
and then you will have good success.
Joshua 1:8


I am excitedly anticipating how the Lord will work through this meditation tool which will help me to actively dwell with my Lord and Savior throughout my busy days.

I hope you too will find this reminder app helpful for increasing the times throughout your own busy days to think upon the Word made flesh.

God promises that the more we dwell with Him in His word, the more we will delight in the Wonderful Words of Life, and the more joy we will experience on our pilgrimage.


Your words were found, and I ate them, 
and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, 
for I am called by your name, O LORD, God of hosts.
Jeremiah 15:16



The Way of the Righteous

but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law he meditates day and night
Psalm 1:2



Comments

  1. Hi Karen, I just spent some time soaking in these scriptures especially Colossians 2:6-8.

    A reminder app is great but these days I'm avoiding phones, Calls, messages...Get around to read a few blogs!
    The noise as you say is distracting and honestly I sometimes struggle. When it's study time I put all those away...😃 I study during weekends hours of the night quite productive I must say.

    Dwelling is deep!
    Thanks for sharing your journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ifeoma,

      Thanks so much for sharing how you dwell with the Lord. :-)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Oh, it is such a glorious privilege to walk daily, hand in hand with Jesus! I don't have a phone that has this capability, but I so enjoy picking up my old, weathered Bible and just spending time sitting at the feet of Jesus. He means more to me with each passing day, and it seems that the longer I serve Him, the more tender my heart becomes toward Him. He is so faithful...even in the dark times and times that we feel forsaken. Thank you for sharing what He has been teaching you, sweet friend. You are such a dear blessing to me, and I love and appreciate you dearly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, Indeed!

      I always look forward to testimonies from your life with Jesus. They always encourage me so much. Your comment here was no different. :-)

      Always a blessing to have you visit.

      You are welcome!

      Sending you much love.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a cool app! I could certainly spend more time dwelling on God's word throughout the day :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I'm really loving it!

      We certainly all can. :-)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. As you said, there's really no way to know Jesus apart from His Word. It is the very mind of Christ and the revelation of God Himself. We can do nothing better to further our growth and love than embrace the scriptures daily. It's amazing how we need to be reminded of the most basic things sometimes. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, Thanks so much for sharing your own thoughts here. I appreciate it so much!

      The Bible is certainly full of stories of God's people needing reminders. We seem to be carrying on the "tradition". Thankful for God's patience and love.

      Thanks for taking the time to comment. :-)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing these thoughts on dwelling in Christ! My word for 2017 is ABIDE which is interchangeable with DWELL so it was especially helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, You are very welcome!

      Oh! That's wonderful! I'm glad this post spoke to your word. :-)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I'm just super thankful that God is so patient and loving. I have many sins of omission and still, He's there.

    Great ideas here to dwell with God on a busy day. I think that's what we all face daily. We're so busy doing something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lux, Me too!

      Thank you for your kind words.

      I'm so glad you stopped by. :-)

      Delete
  7. Dear Karen, thank you for the reminder and encouragement about the importance of DWELLING. It's a choice, isn't it? But, as you said, the blessings and benefits are great motivators for us to choose to dwell in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, You are so very welcome.

      Indeed it is!

      Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. Blessings.

      Delete
  8. Dwell/abide is my word for the year, so I enjoyed what you had to say here, especially about how meditating on God's word is dwelling. That kind of parallels John 15:7 which also brings in the presence of prayer in dwelling. And 15:10 speaks of obedience as being a part of dwelling/abiding. We don't have to always have a feeling to accompany this part of dwelling. We are dwelling in Him, in that we know what He has told us to do, and we are obeying Him.
    The way I understand it, we can be meditating on God's Word and praying at the same time. For example, if I were meditating on John 3:16, my thoughts could go something like this: "Lord, I'm so glad that You loved the world so much that You gave Your only Son. Jesus, thank You SO much for coming into this world and dying for my sins so that if I would just believe on You, I could have eternal life. I am just so amazed that You have made a way that I can be with You forever!
    For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever (that includes me and everyone I love or don't love like I should, but You love them) believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. Lord, I'm sorry for the times I don't love certain people, but You love them, so please fill me with Your love, and help me to love them like You do...."
    So, as you can see, I am meditating on the Scripture and talking to the One who spoke it at the same time. I'm not so likely to get distracted with this kind of praying. The Word becomes a stepping stone to a prayer that the Holy Spirit in me wants me to pray. I am not just trying to make up a prayer or think of what I should pray about. The Lord is guiding my prayer through His Word as I meditate on it. This is such a wonderful privilege that He has given us!!! Praise His name! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I appreciate so much your thoughts here and adding blessing to the conversation.

      Indeed!

      Blessings to you.

      Delete
  9. What a great idea with your smartphone! Such great insights in this post. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey, Thanks so much for your kind words. I appreciate them!

      Blessings,

      Delete
  10. I hope this helps you, Karen! I struggled those too, then there was a season where I struggled to get up from prayer and tend to my little people... I think I have been on both sides and I am thankful for God's grace as we seek Him and continue to be fashioned more like Christ! Your posts are so encouraging and real. Thank you,thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, Indeed! and Amen!

      Thanks so much for your encouragement. You have blessed me. :-)

      Delete
  11. Karen, I like this quote: "I tend to focus more when I am reflecting upon the Word of God." I wholeheartedly agree with you! Your neighbor at #sittingamongfriends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing here Sarah! I'm so glad you were my neighbor! :-)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for linking this up at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts