That Moment I Wanted to Cry Uncle...

Life's difficulties make us want to cry uncle. Read on to learn how to instead experience freedom and joy in the midst of trials.


As the blog post title indicates, I admit there was a time I wanted to cry uncle.  The definition of "cry uncle" is to surrender or admit defeat.   Instead of crying out to Jesus, to the One who bids me to cast my burdens upon Him, I was bearing the weight and believing Satan's lies...

What does blue green algae have to do with crying uncle?


As I'm pretty sure I've shared on my blog in the past, my husband and I enjoy fresh water, catch and release fishing.  We've probably been at it in earnest for about seven years.   Early into our new found hobby, we bought a Scanoe which is basically a canoe/row boat, as it is a bit wider and less tipsy than a canoe.  Which is a good thing for these two middle-aged anglers.   lol.  And I am proud to say we have never flipped the boat.  Haha.

When we first started fishing years ago, we had a small local pond that we would fish at most weeknights after dinner and also on weekends.  The smallness of the pond was convenient since we were using oars to scanoe around.  We could always count on catching at least three good sized large mouth bass every trip, but as the years went by, the weeds began to overtake the pond, making it very frustrating to cast without pulling up large amounts of "sea lettuce".

We then moved up in the Scanoe world and got a trolling motor which opened up more opportunities for to fish in larger bodies of water.   One such pond is quite big - so much so, that white caps can form on a windy day making it quite intimidating to be out on the open water.  The fishing typically is quite good here, but to my husband's chagrin, very rocky.  As a result, he can be heard saying on any given fishing trip, "lost another lure to Stafford"...   I actually prefer the rocks because I don't like touching slimy seaweed. lol

Over the years, our fishing season seems to get cut shorter and shorter, either because it's too windy to be out on the water or because the ponds and lakes are closed to fishing due to blue green algae blooms.  I already don't like slimy seaweed, but a blue green algae bloom is just creepy looking.  What do YOU think??





And not only is blue green algae, which is scientifically known as a cyanobacteria, creepy looking, it's downright dangerous...

"Cyanobacteria occur naturally in lakes, typically at low concentrations that are not harmful and not visible. But when levels of key nutrients -- particularly phosphorus -- in a water body soar and combine with hot temperatures and stagnant water, the organisms thrive. Under these conditions, they outpace growth of other types of algae and streak or coat the water with bright, sometimes iridescent, blooms of green or blue-green cells."  Jessica Marshall, The Atlantic

Humans can be adversely effected by exposure, but usually not too serious, although some cases have been reported when the person had significant contact with the bacteria.

Animals suffer the most from exposure to blue green algae since they are more likely to actually ingest the lake or pond water.  Most animals will die as a result because of a neurotoxin that is released through the algae.

So my healthy fear of blue green algae is indeed justified.

Our Christian walk can sometimes suffer from a blue green algae bloom...

When the heat of trials assail or we feel as though we are stagnating in our circumstances, we can become bogged down, unrecognizable to friends, family and even ourselves.  We want to cry uncle...




Or when we find ourselves, like John Bunyan's Pilgrim in the "Slough of  Despond",  not living in the freedom of our redemption in Christ Jesus, but instead believing Satan's lies that we are not "good enough", becoming consumed with the guilt of past sin.  We want to cry uncle...

One of the components that must be present in pond or lake water in order for the high summer temperatures and stagnation to cause the blue green algae bloom, is run off of manure into the water which contains high levels of phosphorus and nitrogen.

When we allow our trials or circumstances to spread manure (Satan's lies) into our thoughts and mind-set, the blue green algae of self will rear it's ugly head.  All of our energy will be focused on the issues we are plagued with rather than the One whose loving hands have ordained everything that touches us.

Crying Uncle is Music to Satan's Ears


I want you to know that I am preaching to myself here.  For even as I type this blog post, I am suffering with three separate health issues, all equally disconcerting and frustrating.  It seems that since August, I have been revisited with health issues that haven't been a problem for decades, including a cavity!

As a result, I have allowed the manure of self-pity, resentment and at times anger to turn the heat of my trials into blue green algae.  If I'm going to be brutally honest, the thought has popped into my head to back off from ministry to find relief from what I believe has been full-on spiritual warfare.   And isn't that the goal of Satan.  He wants us to cry "UNCLE!"  God, in His mercy, caused me to recognize this immediately, and reminded me that HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR ME.

I am still struggling under the weight of these health issues, but the Lord continues to minister to me as He did with this excerpt from last night's reading in Streams in the Desert...

Don't Cry Uncle, Cry Out To Jesus


"Let us remember that if self-pity is allowed to set in, that is the end of us—until it is cast utterly from us. Joseph just turned over everything in joyous trust to God, and so the keeper of the prison turned over everything to Joseph. Lord Jesus, when the prison doors close in on me, keep me trusting, and keep my joy full and abounding. Prosper Thy work through me in prison: even there, make me free indeed.
—Selected


A little bird I am,

Shut from the fields of air,
And in my cage I sit and sing
To Him who placed me there;
Well pleased a prisoner to be,
Because, my God, it pleaseth Thee.



My cage confines me round,

Abroad I cannot fly,
But though my wing is closely bound,
My soul is at liberty;
For prison walls cannot control
The flight, the freedom of the soul.



I have learnt to love the darkness of sorrow; there you see the brightness of His face."—Madame Guyon


"I will open rivers on the bare heights And springs in the midst of the valleys;
 I will make the wilderness a pool of water And the dry land fountains of water. 
"I will put the cedar in the wilderness, The acacia and the myrtle and the olive tree; 
I will place the juniper in the desert together with the box tree and the cypress, That they may see and recognize, And consider and gain insight as well, That the hand of the LORD has done this, And the Holy One of Israel has created it.
Isaiah 41:18-20

For more encouragement and hope for those days that you want to cry uncle, please head over to my post When Victory in the Christian Life Doesn't Seem So Victorious which you can read here.  Even though circumstances may look dark and hopeless, God is working and you WILL have victory.

The next time you feel like crying uncle, remember that Jesus defeated Sin and Satan.  There is no need to surrender or feel defeated.   Christ won the victory for us!  One day we will  live in Heaven with Him where there will be no more crying and no more pain.  May we all walk through every vale, in the freedom and joy of Christ Jesus, as the shiny new creations we are,  cleansed in His blood and ever in His care...   








You might find me on these link-ups:

Grace & TruthWoman to Woman Ministries, Inspire Me MondayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Good Morning MondaysTell His StoryFaith & Fellowship Blog Hop  Tuesday Talk   Faith 'N Friends Sitting Among Friends   House to Home  ,Wonderful Wednesday , Literacy Musings Mondays,Imparting GraceDance with Jesus Booknificent Thursdays  Fresh Market Friday Moments of Hope Wonderful Wednesdays , Tea & Word Tuesday Heart Encouragement Thursday Hearts for Home Messy Marriage Link-up Friday at the Fire Station Link-up Tune In Thursday Faith on Fire Link-upSunday Scripture Blessings Link-up, Sunday ThoughtsWriter Wednesday, Faith Filled Friday God Sized Dreams Link-Up Sitting Among Friends Be Thee Inspired Graceful Tuesday Link-up Aprons & Pearls Link-up Trekkingthru Link-up  Encouraging Word Wednesday  Grace Moments Link-up  Encouraging Hearts and Home Worth Beyond Rubies Seeking Sabbath Scripture and a Snapshot IHeart Verse Welcome Heart Kingdom Bloggers Outdoorsy Mommy Anchored Truth Tuesdays IHeart Verse InstaEncouragements



Comments

  1. wow. well, first I love it that you and your husband have such a sweet thing to do together. men are different (understatement!) and to find something in common is a lovely marriage booster. then, yes, health is ALL consuming when it's even a little off-keel (to use a boat term, accidentally...) so bless you as you trust, as you keep looking for help and answers, and as you fish together. sweet. (I invested in a travel club last spring bec it's something my man in plaid and I have in common - going to Greece for Thanksgiving. Weird. but his choice and my ministry paid for it. so PTL - i'm sure we'll have some fish while there!! ) sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, Your comment here blessed me so much. Thank you!

      I love it! "Man in plaid"

      Wow! How exciting! Well enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Karen, what an encouraging post to read today. We've had some sad news and I had a nose bleed which hasn't happened in several years, and it's easy to just want to "cry uncle". But how much better to trust God who is with us through the hard circumstances and will give us the strength. Blessings to you, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayl, I'm glad you found encouragement here.

      Sorry to hear that you have experienced some sadness of late and a nose bleed! My husband gets those every winter. They can be disconcerting.

      Indeed and Amen!

      Thanks for stopping by. I always enjoy your visits! :-)

      Delete
  3. What a great analogy! I find that the lies of Satan certainly do act like manure that weighs us down and causes all sorts of problems. I loved learning from you today. Glad dot be your neighbor at TellHisStory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, Thank you for your kind words. :-)

      I'm glad you were my neighbor too!

      Blessings,

      Delete
  4. Oh the poor turtle. I felt so sorry for him and then happy for the second photo of him. The manure of Satan's lies. Now that is a great description. Because his lies do choke out the joy from our souls. Hoping for relief from your health problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, Thank you so much for adding to the conversation. I appreciate it!

      And thank you for your words of encouragement concerning my health issues.

      Delete
  5. Oh, it was so good to visit with you here tonight! I have no idea why my computer stopped receiving your blog posts...this has happened before. So frustrating! But, how I love to come here and enjoy a sweet visit with you. May the dear Lord bless you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cear Cheryl, And it was so nice to have you come by! I've missed you!

      Your visits bless me every time. :-)

      Blessings to you dear friend.

      Delete
  6. Karen, how fun that you and your husband fish together. Your comparison of the impact of blue-green algae on water to what happens in our hearts sometimes is such a good one. I've definitely been caught up in thoughts of self, and they suffocate me at times. They distract my eyes from the Lord. I have to be very intentional about spending time in God's word daily. This is the only thing that will clear out the algae from my thoughts and heart.

    Thanks for the reminder that we need to not cry "Uncle" to Satan, but yield ourselves to the Lord. I needed this read to begin my day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, Thank you so much for adding to the conversation. I appreciate it!

      You are very welcome!

      Blessings,

      Delete
  7. Karen, your words were a balm to my heart. It's far too easy to cry uncle instead of looking for the Truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, Indeed it is.

      Praising God you found a balm for your heart here.

      Blessings,

      Delete
  8. I did not know about blue algae. We have problems with algae too in our area. It makes the water taste muddy since our public water comes from our lakes. Thanks for sharing on the #LMMLinkup this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com this week! I tweeted your post!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts