God's Call: The Lord's Presence

How to feel the Lord's presence in the call He has placed upon your life.

I'm sure you've heard the saying, whatever the Lord calls you to, He will bring you through it.  I've always thought that quote was referring to trials, and it may very well be, but for the context of today's post, Gods' Call:  The Lord's Presence, I believe it is referring to His presence in the very work He has called us to do.

Why Don't We Sense the Lord's Presence?


The LORD was going before them in a pillar of cloud by day to lead them on the way, and in a pillar of fire by night to give them light, that they might travel by day and by night.   He did not take away the pillar of cloud by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, from before the people.…
Exodus 13:21-22


Whenever I've read these verses, I've always thought how comforting it must have been to know that the Lord was visibly with Israelites - a tangible evidence of His presence.  But yet when you read the accounts of the Israelites, you don't really get a sense that they were realizing the comfort of the Lord's presence.   Instead, they were fearful of their circumstances and complaining about them. - which that, in and of itself, seems shocking.

But is it really...

I have the Holy God living INSIDE OF ME!  Many times I can feel His presence. The times I can't... probably because I am succumbing to fear and/or grumbling...

The Lord did not create us to live independently from Him.  His desire is to be present with His people.  We are to live dependent on Christ and that's a wonderful thing!

The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything.  And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us,  for

“‘In him we live and move and have our being’;

as even some of your own poets have said,

“‘For we are indeed his offspring.’

Acts 17:24-28

You WILL Find the Lord's Presence in the Call


How much more is the Lord with us in our calling!

Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, 
not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, 
which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,
2 Timothy 1:9

For we are his workmanship, 
created in Christ Jesus for good works, 
which God prepared beforehand, 
that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:10

The Lord prepared our calling before the worlds began!  Now that is important work!

But He never planned that we would walk in those works alone - without Him.  His plan was always to walk in our calling with us - every step of the way.

We will not be successful in our calling if we try to do it on our own.  

I am the vine; you are the branches. 
Whoever abides in me and I in him, 
he it is that bears much fruit, 
for apart from me you can do nothing.
John 15:5

Those who make the glory of God their end, and the word of God their rule, the Spirit of God the guide of their affections, and the providence of God the guide of their affairs, may be sure that the Lord goes before them, though they cannot see it with their eyes: we must now live by faith. When Israel marched, this pillar went before, and pointed out the place of encampment, as Divine Wisdom saw fit. It sheltered by day from the heat, and gave light by night. The Bible is a light to our feet, a lantern to our paths, with which the Saviour's love has provided us. It testifies of Christ. It is to us like the pillar to the Israelites. Listen to that voice which cries, I am the Light of the world; he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the Light of life, John 8:12. Jesus Christ alone, as shown in the Bible, and as the Holy Spirit, in answer to prayer, recommends him to the soul, is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, John 14:6.
Matthew Henry Concise Commentary

When we abide with the Lord, commune with Him every day and throughout our calling, the light of Christ will shine brightly and He will be glorified.

For similar posts, please click on the following:






 You might find me on these link-ups:

Grace & TruthWoman to Woman Ministries, Inspire Me MondayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Good Morning MondaysTell His StoryFaith & Fellowship Blog Hop  Tuesday Talk   Faith 'N Friends Sitting Among Friends   House to Home  ,Wonderful Wednesday , Literacy Musings Mondays,Imparting GraceDance with Jesus Booknificent Thursdays  Fresh Market Friday Moments of Hope Wonderful Wednesdays , Tea & Word Tuesday Heart Encouragement Thursday Hearts for Home Messy Marriage Link-up Friday at the Fire Station Link-up Tune In Thursday Faith on Fire Link-upSunday Scripture Blessings Link-up, Sunday ThoughtsWriter Wednesday, Faith Filled Friday God Sized Dreams Link-Up Sitting Among Friends Be Thee Inspired Graceful Tuesday Link-up Aprons & Pearls Link-up Trekkingthru Link-up  Encouraging Word Wednesday  Grace Moments Link-up  Encouraging Hearts and Home Worth Beyond Rubies Seeking Sabbath Scripture and a Snapshot IHeart Verse Welcome Heart Kingdom Bloggers Outdoorsy Mommy Anchored Truth Tuesdays IHeart Verse InstaEncouragements

Comments

  1. so true. without God as my focus and light, all walking and serving is useless. Great matthew henry quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I thought so too! I love his insights.

      Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  2. Karen - I love this post. I just preached yesterday about how to find and know God's purpose for our life. This is such great confirmation as I said - we were made for one primary purpose to bring Glory to God and as we are in relationship with Him, everything will flow from there.!!! Love you heart and I love that you mention God will be present with His presence in our calling. So very true - Today we are neighbors at #LMMLinkup I have just started writing a series too, I haven't really ever writing more than 2 post in a series, but I am tackling a series on the Beatitudes and it has been fun to spend more than 1 or 2 weeks on a topic/scripture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, Praise God! :-) Your sweet words encourage me greatly.

      It's so neat when the Lord uses other people to confirm what He has spoken to our hearts. I LOVE when that happens!

      Lately, due to my life and schedule, I have a blogging day once a month where I write content for four blog posts to cover the month. I tend to operate best that way as once my brain is in the blogging mode, I can't seem to turn it off and out flows the posts. I think this is only my second series and as I described, works well with my thought process and how I write, but usually series are born out of a blog post idea that I see might be too long on it's own and so I break it down.

      Thanks so much for sharing what the Lord is doing in your preaching and in your blogging.

      Blessings,

      Delete
  3. "When we abide with the Lord, commune with Him every day and throughout our calling, the light of Christ will shine brightly and He will be glorified. " AMEN! When God calls us to do something He will always be with us to help and strengthen. Blessings to you! I'm your neighbor at #TeaAndWord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayl, Thank you so much for always taking the time to stop by. Your visits are always a blessing.

      Delete
  4. Oh, what a comfort it is to know that He is leading our path! I have often thought of this, too, how it is hard to understand how they could have grumbled and been so discontent when His presence was so visible to them. But, as you said, I am the same way. I so quickly forget what God just did, and when the next big hurdle comes on the scene, I am back to my murmuring and complaining and full of fear again. I am so thankful God is a long-suffering God who doesn't cut us off in anger when we make the same mistakes over and over again. Thank you, sweet friend, for this precious encouragement and reminder that there is a Higher Power who truly is leading our path and showing us the way to go. Oh, I always find such encouragement and edification in your posts! You are a precious blessing and friend to me. Sending much love to you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, Thank you so much for sharing your heart here in the comments. They are such a blessing to me and all who read.

      You are very welcome.

      And your sweet words ALWAYS encourage me in my walk and in my blogging.

      You have come to mean so much to me. Sending you love and gratitude.

      Delete
  5. Until I lived in the desert, I never really appreciated clouds and that God traveled ahead of the Israelites in a pillar of cloud. When we accept God's calling, we won't always be comfortable, but we can know that he's with us in visible, tangible ways (like providing shade on burning-hot days).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Thank you for that visual!

      Indeed and Amen!

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Karen -
    Your series is good and a much needed one... everyone seems to be searching for the purpose and God's calling and your post helps give direction and help those needing encouragement.
    we are neighbors over at #DestinationInspiration & thanks for also linking up with me over at #TuneInThursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, Thank you for your kind words.

      And thank you for hosting Tune In Thursday. I always enjoy the fellowship. :-)

      Delete
  7. Love all these scriptures that have to do with God calling and equiping...so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We really need to practice His presence, let Him rest upon us and definitely us in Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca, I like how you phrased that, "practice His presence". Thanks for sharing!

      And thank you for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  9. There are times that I do forget that he is with me always; even if I'm not acknowledging him..he is acknowledging me with a surprise blessing. Matthew Henry is a go-to for me when reading scripture that confuses me. Thanks for visiting and linking up and sharing.

    Peabea from Peabea Scribbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pea Bea, Very well said, "He is acknowledging me with a surprise blessing."

      I always enjoy your visits here, and I thank you for hosting Sunday Scripture Blessing.

      May the Lord bless the coming week.

      Delete
  10. I love to meditate on the gift of God's presence! Thanks for sharing at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, Thanks for always taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!

      You are welcome!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts