A Time to Rest and Reset

Hello Friends,

  I just wanted to let you know that I will once again be taking time off this summer from blogging.  This year I plan on taking six weeks to rest and reset.

  I am currently doing an excellent study by Sarah Koontz from Living by Design called Reclaiming the Sabbath. I am only in week two, but it has caused me to reflect and reassess what it truly means to participate in Sabbath rest.   I've also been thinking a lot about rest in general lately.  A choosing each day to be still and know that He is God...

I've lost that Karen...  The Karen who used to just sit outside - observing God's creation, listening to the birds and watching the clouds flit by...  The Karen who would feel God's presence and hear Him speak to her heart..

And all because I have chosen instead to be distracted by a smartphone that brings the world and all of ITS pursuits and worries right to my mind the moment a notification pops up from all manner of social media.  A device that creates in me a covetous and discontented attitude which steals my joy. 

I've heard it said that the smartphone is a form of escapism, an addiction really, where any free moment a person has, they are checking their phones...  Looking for a better life maybe...  Living vicariously through others... I know I can be guilty of using spare moments to look at my phone more times than I care to admit.

This became painfully apparent when I was sitting outside in my brand new screened-in porch and instead of enjoying the gentle breezes, watching the birds and listening to their singing,  I would instead become restless and grab my phone!  Huh??  This is not who I am!  And this is not at all who God created us or His creation for...   He made the Heavens and earth, the lakes and streams, the mountains and meadows, the plants and animals,  and precious personal relationships for our enjoyment, not to be ignored because of a Smartphone!

Search me, O God, and know my heart; 
test me and know my concerns. 
See if there is any offensive way in me; 
lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:24

And so for the next six weeks, I will be instituting my own Sabbath rest, to truly focus on the Lord and all that He created that truly matters.  To hopefully break the cycle and develop a healthier balance of smartphone and social media use and to cultivate observation of Sabbath rest each day.

And you'll probably find me right here....








...doing just that.  :-)


I hope you all have a very blessed summer.

I will see you again some time in August.




Comments

  1. Beautiful! God has also called me away for a time of rest and refreshing during this month. I love the timing of His rest for you just as you finished your wonderful screen porch! Have a Blessed time with HIM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bettie, Glad to hear you too are taking time to rest this next month.

      Indeed it is! :-)

      And you as well!

      Thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a beautiful place you have to go and meditate and be still before His presence! I love the serenity of the view of your backyard, and the clean, uncluttered look of your porch. I know God will come and meet with you, my friend. I will miss your posts so much, but it will bless my heart to know that you are getting the rest you need and spending time at Jesus' feet. I am totally with you on the social media thing. Oh, I see it so clearly how satan is using these devices to cloud and clutter our minds and make us SO distracted from God and all He has for us. I think it is all so very sad. God help us to just do what we need to do to live simple lives before Him. You are such a dear blessing to me, and I trust you will be blessed abundantly in return, my friend. Sending love and hugs your way and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, Thank you so much!

      Awe. I will miss you too! Thank you.

      Amen!

      Thank you.

      I pray for you often my sweet friend. You too are such a blessing to me.

      Enjoy your summer!

      Delete
  3. Have a wonderful time of rest, Karen! <3 The porch is so pretty; I love it! It looks very peaceful and I can imagine you sitting there and watching God's creation. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bekki, Thank you!

      :-)

      I miss you so much! And have especially been enjoying your updates. :-)

      I think of you often.

      Sending you much love.

      Delete
  4. Hello Author,
    while I visit your blog I found that your content is so clear which attracts user attention. thanks for sharing a worthwhile article. See useful Information on Shrug Ransomware.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this (I realize I'm reading it well past the 6 weeks off). But, I've been feeling a real need to slow down and embrace this season too. Needing some rest and reset over here as well! How often I forget that Sabbath rest is so important. And even a command. I so appreciate this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, You are so welcome!

      I'm so glad you were encouraged to rest! I highly recommend it! ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts