Drink Up!

Drink Up!  How to support your spiritual roots.


Today we will be looking at the very first Psalm of the Psalter.  One that shows us how we are benefited by taking the time to sit and drink up the Word of  God.

The Way of the Righteous and the Wicked
Psalm 1

1 Blessed is the man[a]
    who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
    nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight is in the law[b] of the Lord,
    and on his law he meditates day and night.

3 He is like a tree
    planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
    and its leaf does not wither.

In all that he does, he prospers.
4 The wicked are not so,
    but are like chaff that the wind drives away.

5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
    nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
6 for the Lord knows the way of the righteous,
    but the way of the wicked will perish


God's Design for Roots - Drink Up!


A few weeks ago my husband and I visited Roger Williams Park located in Providence, Rhode Island.  We are still scratching our heads as to why we haven't taken advantage of this beautiful park before.

During our walk we came upon this majestic Sycamore tree.

Drink Up!  How to support your spiritual roots.

How to Support your Spiritual Roots

Drink Up!  How to support your spiritual roots.

I wondered aloud how old this tree must be.  The pictures don't do it justice.

The Sycamore tree happens to be my mom's favorite tree, and I can see why!

Something that has always fascinated me about the Sycamore is how long it takes for the leaves to come out.  The leaves seem to sprout in a spotty, sickly looking fashion, making you wonder if it has succumbed to disease.   But sure enough, once the process is complete, the amazing Sycamore has some of the largest leaves of any tree which provide a beautiful canopy across the backdrop of the sky.

This particular tree isn't planted by a stream, although there is a pond very close by, but judging by it's size and apparent age, it's roots have grown very deep and have stretched out very wide, finding it's source of nourishment through ground springs, I would imagine.


Jesus Died For You and Me - Drink Up!


At the moment of salvation, we as children of God are grafted into the tree of Christ, and as such, we are already deeply rooted in Him.  It doesn't take years of growth to experience all that the Living Water of Christ affords.

Drink Up!  How to support your spiritual roots.


Drink Up!  How to support your spiritual roots.


Don't Let Your Spiritual Roots Dry Out - Drink Up!


However, too often, we allow those deep roots to dry out by not spending time in prayer, in the Word or in fellowship with our brothers and sisters in the Lord.  As a result, we cut off our very spiritual life blood.

A co-worker was telling me that she listened to a podcast called Bioneers which is basically a "Ted Talks" for scientists.  She shared something fascinating that she learned while listening to one of the podcasts.  Apparently, trees have a whole communication network beneath the ground that stretches out to other trees.  When one tree is lacking in a nutrient or has a disease, the healthy tree will send out, through this underground network, that which will strengthen and help the other tree.

As Believers, we should take our cue from God's beautiful brotherhood system for trees and remember that no Christian is an island.  We are all part of the Body of Christ and are called to not forsake gathering together.  Through that fellowship, iron sharpens iron, exhortation brings about loving correction, growth reaps fruit, encouragement yields blessing, and the body of believers will not wither, but will prosper.

Just like the underground network of support that God built into trees, He provides everything we need to sustain our Christian walk through prayer, the study of God's Word and fellowship with the body of Believers.

We will enjoy manifold blessings when we nourish the roots of our soul by drinking God's Living Water.

Rivers of Living Water
G. R. H. Wood

Rivers of living water,
  Rivers that flow from the throne,
Rivers o’erflowing with blessing,
  Coming from Jesus alone.
  Rivers of living water,
  Rivers of life so free,
Flowing from Thee, my Savior,
    Send now the rivers through me.
2
Whoso is thirsty come hither,
  Here is abundant supply;
Water transparent as crystal,
  Come without money and buy.
3
Cleanse me, oh, cleanse me, my Savior,
  Make me a channel today;
Empty me, fill me and use me,
  Teach me to trust and obey.
4
Then, and then only, Lord Jesus,
  Through me the rivers can flow;
Thus and thus only will others
  Learn Thy great fulness to know.
5
Now I surrender to Jesus,
  Here I lay all at His feet;
Anything, anywhere only,
  Just for His service made meet!


To learn about how a Christian can bloom where they are planted, head over to my post Bloom Where You Are Planted which you can read HERE.

DRINK UP!


You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & TruthWoman to Woman Ministries, Inspire Me MondayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Good Morning MondaysTell His StoryFaith & Fellowship Blog Hop  Tuesday Talk   Faith 'N Friends Sitting Among Friends   House to Home  ,Wonderful Wednesday , Literacy Musings Mondays,Imparting GraceDance with Jesus Booknificent Thursdays  Fresh Market Friday Moments of Hope Wonderful Wednesdays , Tea & Word Tuesday Heart Encouragement Thursday Hearts for Home Messy Marriage Link-up Friday at the Fire Station Link-up Tune In Thursday Faith on Fire Link-upSunday Scripture Blessings Link-up, Sunday ThoughtsWriter Wednesday, Faith Filled Friday God Sized Dreams Link-Up Sitting Among Friends Be Thee Inspired Graceful Tuesday Link-up Aprons & Pearls Link-up Trekkingthru Link-up  Encouraging Word Wednesday  Grace Moments Link-up  Encouraging Hearts and Home Worth Beyond Rubies Seeking Sabbath Scripture and a Snapshot IHeart Verse Welcome Heart Kingdom Bloggers Outdoorsy Mommy Anchored Truth Tuesdays IHeart Verse Legacy Link-up


Comments

  1. Wow, Karen, I was just thinking about that Psalm, and just wrote about the tree at my old house that is probably over two hundred years old, some of the Civil War was probably fought around it. I love that picture with the rock wall. Visiting from Anita's oh, and a Summer of Psalms is a great idea, I'm doing a A Summer of Angels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca. Thank you so much for sharing that!! I believe they call those "witness trees" :-)

      Thank you and thank you so much for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  2. This is just amazing! I have never heard of this underground root communication system, but oh, my, the wonderful thoughts you brought out here today! It is so true that we need each other so desperately on this Heavenward journey. I find that I need my brothers and sisters in Christ more and more as I get older and seem to need more prayer support, etc. It is such a blessing to be able to reciprocate that and pray for others, also. You are such a source of support, encouragement, and edification to me, dear friend, and God has certainly placed you in my life to pray and be such a blessing time after time. I am so grateful to Him for your friendship. May He bless and reward you for the blessing you are to me and to so many others! Much love to you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl! I hadn't either until my friend told me, but it truly is fascinating and not at all surprising in God's economy. :-)

      Indeed!

      Thank you for your sweet and humbling words. They mean so much to me. And I feel the very same way about you!

      Trusting the Lord's mercies and blessings upon you today and every day. Sending you much love and gratitude.

      Delete
  3. I also have been reading about how trees have a whole underground network of communication and support for each other. It makes the analogy of Christians being grafted onto the tree of God even better, doesn't it? I love Roger Williams park too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it does!! Oh wow! That's so neat that you've been there too!

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I'm visiting from the Stories of Hope linkup. I love this psalm -- love the fact that we're rooted and nourished from His Word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, Thank you so much for stopping by. I appreciate it!

      Amen!

      Delete
  5. That's fascinating about how trees support each other underground! It's a wonderful analogy of how the body of Christ is supposed to work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois, First of all, you have such a cheerful name! :-)

      Praising God for lessons from His beautiful design and plan for creation.

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts