When the Course you've Charted Suddenly Changes



I have the privilege of leading the ladies at my church in a Women's Bible Study.  I began planning  for the Fall study this past summer...

But I admit, a disturbing thought popped into my head at that time...

"Hmm, I wonder what's going to happen to me or my family leading up to and/or during the Study."

Now, I'm not a fatalist or looking for Satan behind every bush, but anyone who serves in ministry knows, Satan goes on offensive when we are doing work for the Kingdom.

I comforted myself that during the Spring Women's Bible Study everything went fine and I came away "unscathed".

I'm just being brutally honest and transparent here with my thoughts.

And then it happened...

A month before the study was to begin, I spent that time waiting on medical results which weighed heavy on my mind.  I am happy to report that just a few days ago I got word that there were no worrisome findings, and I got a clean bill of health.

Just days before the first meeting of the women's bible study, my husband was hospitalized for five days!  You can read more about that here in my post When your Life Tests your Life Verse.

I didn't even have time to look at the Bible Study materials in order to lead let alone attend!  To an outside onlooker, it would appear that my best laid plans were blown up in smoke, and Satan had indeed thwarted the Bible Study.

The LORD of Heaven's Armies has spoken--who can change his plans? 
When His hand is raised, who can stop Him?"
Isaiah 14:27

But God...

He had the Women's Bible Study in perfect control.  He knew that my husband would be in the hospital and that I would not be available to lead for the first meeting of the Study.

He raised up dear sweet Betty, one of the Bible Study attendees, who took right over and contacted the women and offered to help me in any way she could.  And oh what a help she was!

It turned out that the way the Lord led me to plan and schedule things out, it really didn't matter if the first meeting was missed.  The women could carry on by themselves.  You see, I was using an online Bible Study, which study the ladies would receive by email each week.  They were able to go ahead and watch the first week's video on their own, answer the questions and will be all set for discussion when we meet for the first time this week.

                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


And they departed from the mount of the Lord three days' journey: and the ark of the covenant of the Lord went before them in the three days' journey, to search out a resting place for them.

 And the cloud of the Lord was upon them by day, when they went out of the camp. 

And whenever the ark set out, Moses said, “Arise, O Lord, and let your enemies be scattered,
 and let those who hate you flee before you.”  And when it rested, he said, 
“Return, O Lord, to the ten thousand thousands of Israel.”
Numbers 10:33-36

These verses in Numbers are so comforting.  See how the Lord went out three days journey ahead of the Israelites to search out a resting place for them.

God knows that we need rest.  Yes, He established the Sabbath as a day set aside for rest, but He also provides rest and refreshment on any given day, and I believe, especially when the course we've charted suddenly changes.

Definition
rest:
cease work or movement in order to relax, refresh oneself, or recover strength.
an object that is used to support something

As I walked that difficult road last week and my charted course was suddenly changed, the Lord did provide rest for me so that I could recover my strength through the support of Betty and the ladies at my church.  He had gone ahead of me and found that place of rest.

The Lord caused Satan to flee and the Women's Bible Study went forward in His Grace.

My experience with the Women's Bible Study is just an illustration of the many ways that the Lord goes out before us, seeking a place of rest for us, while He continually protects us from the adversary.

You may feel a call on your life that is contrary to your comfort zone.  Changing the course you would rather stay on.  You can claim the promises in this portion of Numbers that the Lord will be your Guide, your Wisdom, your Protector, your Strength and your Comfort.

Or you may have an experience like mine that upends your world and nothing makes sense.  Cling to the promises in this passage of Numbers where the Lord will be your Truth, your Hope, your Salvation, your Peace and your Rest.

And one day we will be on the precipice of eternal rest where Jesus promised...

In My Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and welcome you into My presence, so that you also may be where I am. 
John 14:2-3

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together; and a little child shall lead them.
Isaiah 11:6

This is a Truth I need to preach to myself over and over again, no matter what my circumstances, no matter what course I am on, I can be at rest in Christ Jesus my Lord.

You will keep him in perfect peace,
Whose mind is stayed on You,
Because he trusts in You.
Isaiah 26:3

There is a saying and Scripture verses to back it up that the Lord never said life was going to be easy, BUT... it doesn't end there... because He is the God of ALL Comfort and the Prince of Peace.  Learn to walk in the rest that only Jesus can provide. 

Please comment below on ways the Lord has provided you rest in the midst of turmoil.

All praise to our Great God and King!

You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & Truth Link-upWoman to Woman Ministries, Inspire Me MondayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Good Morning MondaysTell His StoryFaith & Fellowship Blog Hop  Tuesday Talk   Faith 'N Friends Sitting Among Friends   House to Home  ,Wonderful Wednesday , Literacy Musings Mondays,Imparting GraceDance with Jesus Booknificent Thursdays  Fresh Market Friday Moments of Hope Wonderful Wednesdays , Tea & Word Tuesday Heart Encouragement Thursday Hearts for Home Messy Marriage Link-up Friday at the Fire Station Link-up Tune In Thursday Faith on Fire Link-upSunday Scripture Blessings Link-up, Sunday ThoughtsWriter Wednesday, Faith Filled Friday God Sized Dreams Link-Up Sitting Among Friends Be Thee Inspired Graceful Tuesday Link-up Aprons & Pearls Link-up Trekkingthru Link-up Coffee for the Heart Link-up Encouraging Word Wednesday  Grace Moments Link-up  Encouraging Hearts and Home Worth Beyond Rubies Seeking Sabbath

Comments

  1. Oh, how I needed this today! The other day, our dear son found a quote by George Muller that said God not only orders our steps, He orders our stops. That came to my mind as I was reading this. Oh, what a comfort it is to know that He is in control of our lives, and He sees what we need and anticipates those needs long before we actually need them! We are getting ready to go into another time of intense demands and I am SO tired going into it and have wondered multiple times how I will make it through. THIS, dear friend, is exactly what I needed to read and to be reminded of. I cannot thank you enough for your obedience to the call God has placed upon your life. You minister to my heart in every, single post. May the dear Lord continue to bless you as you lead the ladies at your church and in all of the many, many ways you minister to others, including me. You are a God-given gift to us all. Sending much love and gratitude to you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, Praising God you found what you needed here today.

      I love that!! I never heard that particular George Mueller quote before! I find it soo encouraging!

      Praying for this next difficult season that you will feel God's presence go before you and be with you.

      Our six week study ended on Wednesday, and although I was battling something each and every week, the Lord showed me that when I am weak He is strong. All the ladies and myself were richly blessed by our time together. God is faithful.

      Your words humble me. Thank you so much sweet friend. All Glory to God.

      Sending you much love,

      Delete
  2. Amen. I see God go before me every day if not multiple times daily. I am so grateful that He has plans for me and He has known them before I was even created. What a testimony you have shared of our faithful and trustworthy God. Glad we were neighbors today @ GraceFull Linkup.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda @ Being Woven
    https://beingwoven.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, Amen!

      Praising God for His faithfulness and provision.

      I'm so glad you came by to visit. :-)

      Delete
  3. There's always rest in God's word. Like the George Mueller quote Cheryl mentioned says, God indeed does order our steps and our stops. Thanks very much for this reminder. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Boma, Amen! A sister in Christ I follow always says, we will NEVER regret time in the Word. And indeed that is so very true.

      Amen! Indeed He does.

      You are very welcome. :-)

      Delete
  4. God's really good at knowing what we need. Blessed to be your neighbor at coffee for your heart today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how God exceeds what we thought possible when we rest in his provision and care. It's also a good reminder to not feel as if we're the only who who can lead out (I struggle with that feeling and am learning to remember that my way isn't the best way, it's just my way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Indeed! Above and beyond what we hoped or imagined.

      Yes, we certainly all can struggle with that. The Lord is so gracious to us and nudges us back on the right path. Thank you Jesus.

      Blessings,

      Delete
  6. The devil may not be under every bush but his lies are and deceptions, fear and all the old thoughts that come against us. And sometimes, even Christians just don't want to admit their bad behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca, It is a constant struggle, but greater is He that is in us, than he who is in the world. Praise God!

      Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Oh how I need to be reminded of this often. Man makes his plans but God directs his steps! Visiting from @Tune In Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I've always liked that Scripture. Indeed, God directs our steps. And oh what a comfort that is.

      Delete
  8. We had a story about Bible study plans last year at our church. Without going into all the details, the plans we had made changed suddenly as we left our women's group plans and joined into a church-wide study... little did we know that the father of our women's ministry leader died over Christmas break and she was gone to help settle affairs 2 states away. those "sudden" plans were actually a blessing to her since they allowed her to go away for weeks at a time and not have to worry about what was going on at the church. Always a good reminder to not get upset when things don't go the way you want, and instead realize that He has the best plan already in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, Thank you so much for sharing that testimony of how the Lord worked things out at your church for your small group ministry leader.

      Indeed! He does have the best plan already in place!

      Thanks so much for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  9. God is amazing in his plans that we have no clue. Praises that your worry turned out to be okay, and hopefully hubby is fine now. I often have to remind myself that worry is of the Devil and a tool that is used against me. I have always been a worrier, but am getting better with the comfort of God's word. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peabea, I can relate to all that you've shared here.

      Yes! My husband is pretty much back to normal. :-)

      Indeed, God's plans for our lives are amazing!

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing this encouragement at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. God is so good. He always provides a way when our best laid plans change. Glad you could adjust to it and rest in God's provision. Thank you for sharing with Grace & Truth Christian Link-Up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maree, Indeed He is and praising God that indeed He does.

      You are very welcome.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. I am glad that your husband is okay. Some days I just have to keep that Isaiah verse in my heart. I just keep my heart on Jesus and he leads me in the way I should go. Trust in him to get through any storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, when we "turn our eyes upon Jesus and look full in His wonderful face, the things of this world will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace."

      Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts