Rinse and Repeat



I am currently embarking on a journey to improve my emotional and spiritual health after reading fellow blogger Lisa Murray's book, Peace for a Lifetime.  I HIGHLY recommend it!  She guides you through three areas to work on beginning with your relationship with God.

As I read the chapters about building a solid, deeply rooted relationship with God and answered the thought-provoking questions at the end of the chapters, I realized that I had a lot of mistrust of God that was born out of attending a legalistic church early on in my conversion.  Unfortunately, I transferred these legalistic viewpoints onto God in how He related to me and I to Him. 

As I've shared before, I will pray bold prayers for other people believing that they will be answered, but I won't pray boldly for myself because I assume that this is my lot and is God's will for me - having a very defeated attitude about it...

Or I will do what I like to call the "cheating on a diet" routine.  You know, when you diet and you cheat, you're like what's the use and then proceed to eat a whole cake and the diet is over.  Well, with my besetting sins, I tend to do the same thing.  Not that I increase my sinning, but I stop going to God asking for forgiveness because I have the "whats the use, I'm just going to sin again in a few minutes" mentality.  Or worse yet, I will not pray to God during the day because I haven't done the "prescribed asking forgiveness prayer beforehand".  That legalistic teaching really did a number on my prayer life.  I'm not saying we shouldn't confess sin, but it absolutely shouldn't be a deterrent from sending up a breath prayer to the Lord or praying throughout the day.  In fact, as I am typing this I am realizing that by not praying because I felt it wasn't the right setting or mindset, I was actually just perpetuating my sins.  Had I been praying throughout the day anywhere any time, I would be in close communion with God making it pretty hard to actively sin while seeking God in prayer.

But God, who knew my struggles in my relationship with Him, arranged a Divine appointment for me...   Through a sermon given by a Pastor at my daughter's church...

I'm going to do something maybe unconventional for bloggers, but I am basically going to share the rapid fire notes I took while listening to this spiritually life changing sermon...

The Bible is clear that we don't deserve God's forgiveness, but God... being rich in mercy and love, sent His Son to take the wrath we deserved upon Himself, dying an excruciating death on the cross, and rising to new life where those who believe in the power of the cross will receive eternal life.

At conversion, we believe God will ultimately save us, but we seem to have trouble believing we deserve His daily blessings.

In order to overcome these doubting thoughts, we must come to the cross over and over again.  

Look to the cross and hear God say, again and again, "I LOVE YOU.  YOUR SINS ARE FORGIVEN".  We need to wrestle with God until our hearts finally believe that God WILL bless us.

When we are in the midst of trials, we must think redemptively - God WILL redeem this circumstance!

He is redeeming our lives so that we can have a role in the lives of those around us for their redemption and to be a blessing to others.

The story of Joseph's years of enslavement and God's ministry to him remind us that God does love us even when life isn't going well.  He isn't allowing bad circumstances to punish us, but to lavish His grace and peace upon us.

We must trust in God's Sovereignty and blessings.  Don't look at the circumstances. 

We must be at peace with God and His Sovereignty.

Self-talk must lead to thanksgiving and praise to the Lord.  Don't allow what you see or feel to restate what God has said.  Remind yourself over and over,  God is Sovereign, He will bless me.

Don't doubt God's love for you.  Your story is part of God's grand story.

My basic takeaway from this sermon is that God's Sovereignty is not something to be feared.  Quite the contrary.  We are God's masterpieces.  He created us with His loving hands.  God already prepared works for us to do before the worlds began.  We are not just some random byproduct of God, but His special child who is dearly loved.  Our Heavenly Father never leaves our side and is our Provider, our Strength, our Help and our Peace EVERY STEP OF THE WAY! 

And secondly, He desires to lavish us with His blessings every second of every day.

No matter how many times you have left something at the cross and later picked it back up again - IT'S OKAY!  Go back to the Lord, drop it off and start again.  He will NEVER turn you away.  Even if you go to Him over and over again confessing the same sin - IT'S OKAY!  His forgiveness is eternal for those who are His.  Just keep going back to the cross.  Trust His Sovereignty and EXPECT His blessings.


You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & TruthWoman to Woman Ministries, Inspire Me MondayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Good Morning MondaysTell His StoryFaith & Fellowship Blog Hop  Tuesday Talk   Faith 'N Friends Sitting Among Friends   House to Home  ,Wonderful Wednesday , Literacy Musings Mondays,Imparting GraceDance with Jesus Booknificent Thursdays  Fresh Market Friday Moments of Hope Wonderful Wednesdays , Tea & Word Tuesday Heart Encouragement Thursday Hearts for Home Messy Marriage Link-up Friday at the Fire Station Link-up Tune In Thursday Faith on Fire Link-upSunday Scripture Blessings Link-up, Sunday ThoughtsWriter Wednesday, Faith Filled Friday God Sized Dreams Link-Up Sitting Among Friends Be Thee Inspired Graceful Tuesday Link-up Aprons & Pearls Link-up Trekkingthru Link-up  Encouraging Word Wednesday  Grace Moments Link-up  Encouraging Hearts and Home Worth Beyond Rubies Seeking Sabbath Scripture and a Snapshot IHeart Verse Welcome Heart

Comments

  1. Thank for your blogpost. Yes, let us remind our self over and over that God is Sovereign and that He will bless me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aritha, You are very welcome!

      Thanks so much for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh how deeply our Father loves us! It seems the older I get, the more I realize that I have only begun to scratch the surface of His love! And yes, you are so right that knowing He is sovereign is in reality such a place of beautiful trust for us. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bettie, Indeed! That's how deep His love is!

      I always enjoy your visits! Thanks so much for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so very much for your open and honest confession here. You bless me so much. I am still healing from a legalistic church and mindset. It blesses me to know I am not alone in learning to come to the Cross again and again and again, unashamed and without fear. Truly God's hand placing you next to me on Tell His Story. BTW: do you know about the leaving legalism Facebook group? It has been such a blessing as has Kendra Fletcher's book, Leaving Legalism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, Praising God that He placed us next to each other. And praising Him for the encouragement you found here.

      No, I had not heard about that Facebook group. I also hadn't heard of the book that you mentioned. Thanks for sharing both.

      Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Wow! This is SO powerful. The horrors of trying to see God as He truly is after Him being presented to you as someone who is just waiting with baited breath to cut you off are SO far-reaching and long-lasting. I still do not think I understand grace, and I have lived for Jesus for many years. It frustrates me because I do not know how to completely shake off the legalistic chains. God has done a mighty work in my heart, but there is still much work to be done. The power of the spirit of legalism is HUGE. I am so thankful to know that I am not alone, and I surely understood every word you said, dear friend. You are such a blessing to me, and I could never thank God enough for your precious friendship and presence in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl! Indeed it's power is HUGE. No, you certainly aren't alone. It's sad because much of my love for the Word and theology and knowing doctrine came from attending that church and is what I credit for having discernment, but as my daughter and I were discussing today, we weren't taught the grace and love that goes with that knowledge.

      You are so dear to me Cheryl! I always appreciate your visits here, and I appreciate you more than words could say.

      Sending you much love and gratitude,

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your faith - beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have to receive that peace, John 14:27. I know about legalistic some many people advising you and they are wrong, even if they are believers and mean well, it is not what He taught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the Lord did not teach legalism. It is the very opposite of the freedom bought for us by Christ Jesus.

      Thanks for joining in the conversation.

      Delete
  7. This really spoke to me as I am currently working to overcome a besetting sin. Thank you. Visiting you today from the mommynicificent link up. laurensparks.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praising God that you found a renewed sense of God's grace here.

      Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. God is sovereign indeed! Popping over from the Mommynificient linkup. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becca, Amen!

      Thanks so much for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  9. What a nice reminder that we are indeed loved and forgiven. Agree, that sometimes that is the hard part. Accepting we are worthy, but he deems us so. :) Thanks for visiting Peabea Scribbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peabea, You are very welcome! I always enjoy my visits there.

      And thanks so much for stopping by here. I appreciate it!

      Delete
  10. I love this statement, "Don't allow what you see or feel to restate what God has said." What a powerful way to put it. I'm pinning this. I think we all struggle with this to one degree or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, Thank you so much for pinning!

      Indeed, I believe you are right.

      My husband and I went to see the new animated Pilgrim's Progress today in the theater, and watching Pilgrim carry his burden and all the ways he got side-tracked, indeed, we do all struggle.

      Thanks so much for stopping by and Happy Easter!

      Delete
  11. Yes, that daily /hourly rinse and repeat is humbling, necessary, and a PRIVILEGE! He is faithful to forgive us when we ask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aryn, Amen!

      Thanks so much for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  12. This sounds like a wonderful and very encouraging book! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday at Mommynificent.com this month!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts