Helicopter Parent

Learn how God exercises constant care over His children.  God is the ultimate helicopter parent.


God is the Ultimate Helicopter Parent


Years ago, I embarked on memorizing Psalm 139.  It is actually my favorite Psalm!  God's great love for us is weaved through every verse.  And not only that, but it highlights specifically His omniscience and omnipresence.  To me those are the two most comforting attributes of God.

However, too often, because we don't see God right in front of us or feel His physical presence, we forget that He is indeed with us in mind, body and spirit.  That's when loneliness, fear or sin take over further blocking our ability to perceive God in our midst.

But the reality is, God is the ultimate Helicopter Parent and that's a very good thing!

O Lord, you have searched me and known me!
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
    you discern my thoughts from afar.
You search out my path and my lying down
    and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
    behold, O Lord, you know it altogether...

Where shall I go from your Spirit?
    Or where shall I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
    If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
If I take the wings of the morning
    and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
 even there your hand shall lead me,
    and your right hand shall hold me.
If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
    and the light about me be night,”
even the darkness is not dark to you;
    the night is bright as the day,
    for darkness is as light with you.
Psalm 139:1-4; 7-12

When you hear the term "helicopter parent", it usually comes with a negative implication.  "Oh Mary never lets little Billy do anything, she is always hovering over Him.  How will he ever learn?."  Or "I can't believe Joan read her daughter's diary!"  There is certainly truth in those thoughts from a human perspective, but there is also a level of parental protection that comes from loving our children, although sometimes imperfectly...

The Benefits of God as our Helicopter Parent


But we have a Father whose intentions and ways are perfect.

The Lord created us to solely depend on Him.  There is a ministry called Well Watered Women Co. that coined the phrase, "Jesus plus nothing".  And indeed that is how it should be.  We should not seek after anything else but God in any situation whether happy or sad, fearful or peaceful, difficult or easy and on an on...

We can rejoice knowing that God understands our thoughts when in some cases, we don't even understand them.  We can rest in the fact that God knows all of our ways and understands them and loves us despite them.  He even knows a word before it is on our tongues, and can guide us, correct us, and demonstrate His patience toward us.

We can have perfect peace knowing that WHEREVER we are, He is right there.  And not only is He right there with us, but through Him we have EVERYTHING we need for life and living.

We have His....

STRENGTH
COURAGE
WISDOM
KNOWLEDGE
PATIENCE
PEACE
VICTORY

When trials come, we don't have to worry about what WE are going to do.  First of all, God ALREADY knows what HE is going to do.  Secondly, He did not intend for us to figure anything out on our own or endure anything on our own.  His intent is to be right there with us in the fiery furnace and to work His power through us - the faithful helicopter parent.

Being reminded of this Truth once again has brought great comfort to me.  Just knowing that He sees me and understands my weaknesses hammers home how much He truly loves me and is my ever-present Helper - My helicopter parent.

We have this assurance through the Holy Bible where we can learn and understand ALL that God has promised us and ALL that He is to us.  We have the Holy Spirit living inside of us who will work in and through us.  And we have prayer to call upon the Lord for all His saving power whether it be making a decision for Christ or for every minute of every day.

For more encouragement about ways the Heavenly Father views Himself in the life of His children check out the following posts by clicking the titles:

God's Only Child - Me!  God the father who sees you as the apple of His eye.

Abba, Father    God the father as your Daddy

Breathtaking Views!  God the Father as your Creator



I am so thankful that the Lord is my helicopter parent.



You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & TruthWoman to Woman Ministries, Inspire Me MondayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Good Morning MondaysTell His StoryFaith & Fellowship Blog Hop  Tuesday Talk   Faith 'N Friends Sitting Among Friends   House to Home  ,Wonderful Wednesday , Literacy Musings Mondays,Imparting GraceDance with Jesus Booknificent Thursdays  Fresh Market Friday Moments of Hope Wonderful Wednesdays , Tea & Word Tuesday Heart Encouragement Thursday Hearts for Home Messy Marriage Link-up Friday at the Fire Station Link-up Tune In Thursday Faith on Fire Link-upSunday Scripture Blessings Link-up, Sunday ThoughtsWriter Wednesday, Faith Filled Friday God Sized Dreams Link-Up Sitting Among Friends Be Thee Inspired Graceful Tuesday Link-up Aprons & Pearls Link-up Trekkingthru Link-up  Encouraging Word Wednesday  Grace Moments Link-up  Encouraging Hearts and Home Worth Beyond Rubies Seeking Sabbath Scripture and a Snapshot IHeart Verse Welcome Heart

Comments

  1. Psalm 139 is one of my favourites too, and the fact that God is always there no matter what we face is such a reassuring truth to hold onto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesley, Indeed and Amen!

      Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love this and I am happy to share it. At first, I thought it might be the negative impression and I was going to comment that God was a helicopter parent too. I had people laugh at me for calling my mother as a teenager out shopping, and now that there are cell phones, it is even more easy to be considerate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca, Lol. I did wonder if people would think that.

      Thanks so much for sharing!

      And thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  3. I never thought of it this way, but I am surely thankful this, too. Oh, I do not know what I would do without Jesus being the Lord of my life! I need Him so much and depend upon Him heavily. Thank you for another edifying post, sweet friend. Sending much love and gratitude to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, Indeed, we do need Him sooo much!

      Thank you for your faithful, sweet words of encouragement dear friend.

      Sending you much love,

      Delete
  4. What a great concepts to concentrate on. I love that God is our helicopter parent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maree, Amen!

      Thanks so much for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  5. He is our all! How special that is :-D
    Thank you for introducing that concept in regard to our Heavenly Father.

    You're most welcome to join me in a cuppa,
    Bless you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, You are very welcome!

      I will!

      Thanks so much for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  6. What a great positive, biblical application of that term!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna,

      Praising God!

      Thanks so much for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  7. Loved this post. It reminded me of this verse from Deuteronomy "The Lord was like an eagle teaching its young to fly, always ready to swoop down and catch them on its back"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Excellent verse! Thanks for sharing this encouragement!

      And thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. What an interesting thought - to think of God as the ultimate helicopter parent. Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday at Mommynificent.com this month!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, You are very welcome!

      Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  9. This blog is pretty good to learn new information, you are doing well. Keep it up!
    https://blog.mindvalley.com/helicopter-parents/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts