Tuesday Thoughts - September 15, 2015


Welcome to another weekly installment of Tuesday Thoughts.  :-)

The weather this week was quite different than one would expect for September in New England.  It was hot and very, very humid!  As I walked to my car after work one day, I noticed leaves gathered around the car on the ground.  The weather may be acting like the dog days of summer, but the trees seem to know fall is coming.  A friend who lives about an hour north of me posted a picture of a tree whose leaves are already turning red.  Regardless of how the weather may be, I always marvel that the trees do just what they are supposed to at the expected time,  producing abundant fruit with leaves showing hints of the glorious display of color that will soon unfold.

Out of the ground the LORD God caused to grow every tree
that is pleasing to the sight and good for food.
Genesis 2:9

We finally had rain after the long hot spell.  It's almost as if you can hear the grass say, "ahhh".  :-)   The house was so dark yesterday morning when the storms rolled through.  My grandpuppy Dakota was my shadow, not liking the claps of thunder.

Let us now fear the LORD our God, Who gives rain in its season, Both the autumn rain and the spring rain, Who keeps for us the appointed weeks of the harvest." 
Jeremiah 5:24

and yet He did not leave Himself without witness, in that He did good and gave you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, satisfying your hearts with food and gladness."  
Acts 14:17

I always take note of corn fields in the early spring when the tender shoots are just popping up, thinking to myself, before you know it, the corn stalks will be tall and ready for harvest.  And sure enough, I drove by a familiar corn field the other day, tall, sturdy stalks bursting with corn sheaths, enveloping crisp, golden kernels of corn, ready for harvest, thinking to myself how fast the summer months seem to go.  But I wonder if the farmer, concerned about bugs or drought, feels the same way as he waits for the fullness of his harvest to come in...

Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord The farmer waits for the precious produce of the soil, being patient about it, until it gets the early and late rains.  
James 5:7

What simple pleasures have I lingered over:
  • The back of my granddaughter's sweet, precious little head.


  • While the house was dark and still, everyone sound asleep, I stood by an open window, drinking in the night air while listening to crickets, being transported to my childhood family camping days, always loving the smell of the warm night air, and listening to crickets as I fell asleep.  The wonderful scenes from long ago playing through my mind...
  • During an evening walk with my husband, smelling fresh mown grass - a smell that always reminds me of my grandfather.  As I savored the aroma, memories of grandpa's backyard came to mind, remembering times I enjoyed sitting in his yard, feeling the cool breezes that blew between my grandparents house and their neighbors, enjoying spending time talking with grandma and grandpa.


What have I pondered?
  • As I read chapter 7 in the book of Genesis, I wondered why God had Noah take the animals into the ark two by two to preserve the species when He could have easily just created them again - like He did in the beginning...   I'm thinking there will be a blog post on this in my future.  :-)
Then the Lord said to Noah, “Go into the ark, you and all your household, for I have seen that you are righteous before me in this generation. 2 Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals,[a] the male and his mate, and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and his mate, 3 and
 seven pairs[b] of the birds of the heavens also, male and female, to keep their offspring alive on the face of all the earth. 4 For in seven days I will send rain on the earth forty days and forty nights, and every living thing[c] that I have made I will blot out from the face of the ground.” 5 And Noah did all that the Lord had commanded him.
Genesis 7:1-5

  • Walking around the block with my daughter and granddaughter, looking at the houses in our neighborhood, my own included,{a neighborhood that was established in the late 1980's and brand new when we moved in} noticing how much they have aged already and thinking to myself, not only is the mirror showing my aging body, but even inanimate objects show their age with time.  As I reflected on these things, the Holy Spirit brought the following verses to mind:
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal.
Matthew 6:19


For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling, 3 if indeed by putting it on[a] we may not be found naked. 4 For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
2 Corinthians 5:1-5

What am I relying on God for?
  • Healing of a tooth abscess.  
  • Peace as my annual physical in just a week away
  • Ability to order my very busy days to make Him a priority
  • Writing my blog posts
What am I waiting on God for?
  • Continued discernment for God's will concerning possible full-time ministry opportunity for my husband
  • Answered prayer for a loved one
I offer these thoughts to my God and Savior in praise of His creation, moments enjoyed, and His great promises, and to the Holy Spirit who helps me to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ...

"May the mind of Christ my Savior,
Live in me from day to day,
By His love and pow'r controlling
All I do and say."
Kate B. Wilkinson


You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & Truth Link-upWoman to Woman Ministries,  Growing in Grace Link-up, 3DLessonsLif4eLivefree Thursday,Everyday JesusSDG GatheringInspire Me Monday Titus 2 TuesdayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeA Look at the Book,  Sunday StillnessThe Weekend BrewSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Give Me GraceA Little R&RTestimony TuesdayWomen with Intention WednesdaysStill SaturdayGood Morning MondaysTell His StoryBlessings Counter Link-up Party,Faith & Fellowship Blog HopMotivate and Rejuvenate MondaysBe SaltyMonday's MusingsThe Art of Home-Making MondayTuesday TalkWaiting on Wednesday,Dance with Jesus,Looking Up Link-UpReflect His Love and Glory Friend Sharpens Friend Link-UpWords of Comfort Link-upWholehearted WednesdaysTell it to Me TuesdayFaithful at Home FridaysSo Much At Home Link-UpLiteracy Musing Mondays

Comments

  1. I love this time of the year in North Dakota. We have a new puppy at my aunt and uncle's farm and his name is Dakota too...Kotee for short. Great post. Blessed to be your neighbor at Testimony Tuesday today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, I've only visited South Dakota and it is beautiful country out there. I'm sure North Dakota is no different.

      Haha. Just as I typed North Dakota I realized that the puppy was named Dakota like the state. lol. I was a little slow on the uptake. lol

      We call our Dakota, Kota, Koty-kins, Pupparoo. lol.

      Thanks so much for sharing. You gave me a smile. :-)

      And thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, sweet thoughts, my friend. Thank you for sharing your heart here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl!

      May God bless the rest of your week sweet friend. :-)

      Delete
  3. Karen, I'm not sure if this was how you intended it or not, but I found this post to be so calming. It was a pleasure to read. :) I will join you in prayer regarding your tooth, your physical, your time, your writing, the potential ministry opportunity, and for your loved one. ((blessings))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, Awe, thank you. I know when I have read other peoples daybook reflections, I have found them very calming too! :-)

      Thank you so much for your prayers. I greatly appreciate them!

      Your visit blessed me. :-)

      Delete
  4. Loved reading this! It is always so refreshing to hear what God is teaching others and especially what they are grateful for! The simple things in life can so often bring the most joy, can't they? If we just look. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer, Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

      Indeed they can! As I get older, I am learning that more and more. :-)

      Thanks so much for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  5. Love your different thoughts here, Karen. Stimulates my brain/heart to think as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharita, Thank you for your kind words.

      And thanks so much for visiting! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts