Wednesday Worship - September 16, 2015


Welcome, once again, to my weekly feature Wednesday Worship.  :-)

As promised, I will be sharing about the second hymn that plays on my blog, Be Thou My Vision.

While researching the story behind the penning of Be Thou My Vision, I discovered that the hymn was written by an 8th Century Monk, Dallan Forgail, who wrote the lyrics as a tribute to St. Patrick's wholehearted loyalty to God.  The music that accompanies the song is an ancient Irish folk tune called Slane.  {Information about the hymn found on www.sharefaith.com}

The first time I heard this hymn, the music acted as a conduit that drew me deeply into the words.  I remember getting chills as I listened to the music and read the lyrics - lyrics that transported my mind's eye right to the throne room of God in Holy worship.

Be Thou My Vision

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light. 

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

Words: Dallan Forgail (8th Century)

Please enjoy Be Thou My Vision sung by 4 Him:




You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & Truth Link-upWoman to Woman Ministries,  Growing in Grace Link-up, 3DLessonsLif4eLivefree Thursday,Everyday JesusSDG GatheringInspire Me Monday Titus 2 TuesdayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeA Look at the Book,  Sunday StillnessThe Weekend BrewSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Give Me GraceA Little R&RTestimony TuesdayWomen with Intention WednesdaysStill SaturdayGood Morning MondaysTell His StoryBlessings Counter Link-up Party,Faith & Fellowship Blog HopMotivate and Rejuvenate MondaysBe SaltyMonday's MusingsThe Art of Home-Making MondayTuesday TalkWaiting on Wednesday,Dance with Jesus,Looking Up Link-UpReflect His Love and Glory Friend Sharpens Friend Link-UpWords of Comfort Link-upWholehearted WednesdaysTell it to Me TuesdayFaithful at Home FridaysSo Much At Home Link-UpLiteracy Musing Mondays

Comments

  1. I think this is my very favorite hymn. Thank you for posting it, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is my very favorite hymn. Thank you for posting it, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, Thanks for sharing! :-)

      You are so welcome!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I've always loved this hymn. How nice to now know the story behind it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon,

      You are very welcome.

      Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this beautiful hymn, Karen.

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy, You are very welcome! :-)

      It was a lovely weekend! Thank you so much!

      Blessings to you this week.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts