Wednesday Worship - September 30, 2015



Welcome to Wednesday Worship!  I'm so glad you visited!

I like to make sure I have edifying posts interspersed on my Facebook newsfeed so that any time I spend on Facebook, I am also drawing my thoughts Heavenward as well.

One such post is called Gospel Hymns for Daily Strength.  Each day they will share a hymn.  I love scrolling through my newsfeed and seeing a hymn and then reading the lyrics and singing it to myself which always brings back such wonderful memories of the first church I learned to sing hymns at.

In fact, as I sang the hymn in my mind that I will be spotlighting today, He Leadeth Me, another sound was entering my memory, that of my Pastor's wife at the time.  During many Sunday evening services, I would be sitting in close proximity to her as we all lifted our voices in song.   This hymn, in particular, is always one I have associated with her and her voice.  :-)

He Leadeth Me was written by Joseph H. Gilmore.  The following excerpt was taken from www.christianity.com which shares the history of the hymn:

"In 1862, as a 28-year-old student who was about to become a pastor, Henry was invited to preach at the historic First Baptist Church of Philadelphia. "I set out to give the people an exposition of the Twenty-third Psalm. I had given this exposition on three or four other occasions; but this time I did not get beyond the words 'He leadeth me.' So greatly impressed was I with the blessedness of divine guidance that I made this my theme." He later felt that the dark days of the Civil War may have subconsciously led him to focus on God's leadership.

At the close of the meeting, Henry and some others went to the home of a deacon. "There," he wrote, "we continued our discussion of divine guidance. While I was still talking and listening, I wrote on a piece of my exposition manuscript the words to this hymn. I handed the paper to my wife and more or less forgot the incident."

Three years later, having pastored for some time in New Hampshire, Henry was invited to preach a trial sermon at the Second Baptist Church in Rochester. "I picked up a church hymnal to see what songs they sang and was surprised to have the book fall open to the very song I had written three years earlier," he wrote.

"When I returned home, I related this experience to my wife. 'I do not understand it,' I said. 'My words had been set to music by Dr. William B. Bradbury; yet I had not given the words to anybody.' My wife smiled and said, 'I can explain it, Joseph. I felt that the words would bless the hearts of people in these troublesome times; so I sent the poem to The Watchman and Reflector. I am glad to know that they have printed it.'"

The famous hymn composer William Bradbury had seen the lines and added music and the last two lines of the chorus. Henry took this incident as divine leadership that he should accept a situation at the Rochester church. That put him in position two years later to accept an offer to teach Hebrew at Rochester Theological Seminary. The following year, he was offered a professorship of logic and English literature at the University of Rochester, which he held until his retirement in 1908. An English chair at the school is named after him."

He Leadeth Me 

He leadeth me, O blessed thought!
O words with heav’nly comfort fraught!
Whate’er I do, where’er I be
Still ’tis God’s hand that leadeth me.

Refrain:
He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful foll’wer I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sometimes ’mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,
By waters still, o’er troubled sea,
Still ’tis His hand that leadeth me.

Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since ’tis my God that leadeth me.

And when my task on earth is done,
When by Thy grace the vict’ry’s won,
E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me.

When I would sing this hymn in church, I was always most effected by the second to last stanza,

Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since ’tis my God that leadeth me.

In this season of trials I am now experiencing, how fitting to be led to this hymn once again and to be reminded of the great truths contained within.

May we all be His faithful followers, allowing His hand to lead us.

Please enjoy listening to Candi Pearson's rendition of He Leadeth Me.



You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & Truth Link-upWoman to Woman Ministries,  Growing in Grace Link-up, 3DLessonsLif4eLivefree Thursday,Everyday JesusSDG GatheringInspire Me Monday Titus 2 TuesdayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeA Look at the Book,  Sunday StillnessThe Weekend BrewSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Give Me GraceA Little R&RTestimony TuesdayWomen with Intention WednesdaysStill SaturdayGood Morning MondaysTell His StoryBlessings Counter Link-up Party,Faith & Fellowship Blog HopMotivate and Rejuvenate MondaysBe SaltyMonday's MusingsThe Art of Home-Making MondayTuesday TalkWaiting on Wednesday,Dance with Jesus,Looking Up Link-UpReflect His Love and Glory Friend Sharpens Friend Link-UpWords of Comfort Link-upWholehearted WednesdaysTell it to Me TuesdayFaithful at Home FridaysSo Much At Home Link-UpLiteracy Musing Mondays

Comments

  1. This was the first song I played as an offertory at church. I think I was nine. Precious memory. It's nice to know its history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, Awe. Thanks so much for sharing your story!

      And thank you for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the history of this hymn. I find it fascinating. I am not familiar with He Leadeth Me but found it to be beautiful. Glad to be visiting you from #TellHisStory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, You are very welcome!

      I agree, it was fascinating! :-)

      And I am glad you visited!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for this informative post. I have memories of standing in our country white wooden church between my parents as we sang this hymn when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, Awe, that sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing such a special memory. :-)

      So glad you visited!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts