Wednesday Worship - September 9, 2015



Welcome to my new weekly feature, Wednesday Worship, where I will share lyrics to a hymn, and a link for listening.

During my early years as a new believer, I was blessed with attending a church where hymns were sung.  We, of course, sang during Sunday morning worship, but I especially loved Sunday evening service where we devoted a half hour to sing hymns which members of the congregation would request.  Our church also participated in monthly hymn sings with local churches.  My husband and I also used to attend a conference right around Reformation Sunday which was held in a church whose sanctuary had amazing acoustics!  We would always sing, A Mighty Fortress.  Between the sound of the organ and all the voices lifted in worship, it was as close to Heaven as one could feel!  :-)

And so my love for hymns began and flourished!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have had many of you kind and gracious bloggers visit and comment on how much you enjoy the music that plays in the background of my blog.  My first two installments of Wednesday Worship will spotlight each of those hymns.

Today's spotlight: 

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
Robert Robinson  (1735-1790)

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Sorrowing I shall be in spirit,
Till released from flesh and sin,
Yet from what I do inherit,
Here Thy praises I'll begin;
Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I've come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.

Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood;
How His kindness yet pursues me
Mortal tongue can never tell,
Clothed in flesh, till death shall loose me
I cannot proclaim it well.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

O that day when freed from sinning,
I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in blood washed linen
How I'll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
Take my ransomed soul away;
Send thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.

Such incredible words of hope found in this hymn.

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing has always grabbed at my heart.  Especially the following stanza which is essentially the "song of my heart's desire"...

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

This hymn struck me deeper still while watching the movie "Love Comes Softly" when Clark, sitting on the hill with his dog, sings this stanza to the Lord in humble worship.  It was the perfect song- picture of the deep groaning of my own heart.

Please enjoy this heartfelt version of Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing by Bill and Gloria Gaither featuring Buddy Greene and Jeff Taylor.





 May the Lord bind our wandering hearts to His...


You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & Truth Link-upWoman to Woman Ministries,  Growing in Grace Link-up, 3DLessonsLif4eLivefree Thursday,Everyday JesusSDG GatheringInspire Me Monday Titus 2 TuesdayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeA Look at the Book,  Sunday StillnessThe Weekend BrewSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Give Me GraceA Little R&RTestimony TuesdayWomen with Intention WednesdaysStill SaturdayGood Morning MondaysTell His StoryBlessings Counter Link-up Party,Faith & Fellowship Blog HopMotivate and Rejuvenate MondaysBe SaltyMonday's MusingsThe Art of Home-Making MondayTuesday TalkWaiting on Wednesday,Dance with Jesus,Looking Up Link-UpReflect His Love and Glory Friend Sharpens Friend Link-UpWords of Comfort Link-upWholehearted WednesdaysTell it to Me TuesdayFaithful at Home FridaysSo Much At Home Link-UpLiteracy Musing Mondays

Comments

  1. Hello, Karen! I feel I have made a new blogger friend in you today! I just left a reply to your sweet comment on my "What I'm Hoping to Do This Fall" list. Now I find this lovely spot. As a worship leader, I love Wednesday Worship! And as a Bible study facilitator (getting ready to kick off Beth Moore's "Stepping Up" in 2 weeks!), I love all you are doing here. I look forward to following you from here on out via Google+! (P.S. In case you don't see my reply from my blog to your comment, here it is: "Well, Karen, if you aren't just one of my new favorite people! :) 1) You used "autumnal"! 2)You are a fellow "Little House" fan! (I just started "Big Woods" this very night.); 3)You are a mom of a daughter who likes cozy things and apple pie and pot roast. It seems we have much in common! Thank you so much for your sweet words, and may all the joys of fall be yours and your family's!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read your comment and it brought the biggest smile to my face! :-D and it meant a lot!

      Thank you so much for all your kind and encouraging words. They blessed me immensely.

      Blessings to you. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh, dear friend! I LOVE this song...it has to be in my top five to ten all-time favorites. Your favorite part is my favorite part...especially, the "prone to wander, Lord, I feel it". OH, my, I wish that were not true of me, but how prone I am. Dear Lord, help me and ever draw my wandering heart to Thee! I love coming here, and I always leave refreshed in spirit. You are such a blessing to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, Amen!

      Awe, thank you so much! Praising God for His inspiration and leading on all aspects of this blog, an offering to Him.

      Cheryl, you are indeed a blessing to me as well. :-)

      Blessings to you for a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  3. I love this song, the words and the melody! Thanks for the musical post! Visiting from #soulsurvival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen, You are very welcome! 😊

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking at Mondays @ Soul Survival! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts