Tuesday Thoughts - September 8, 2015



Welcome to my new weekly feature, Tuesday Thoughts, where I will be sharing a short daybook reflection which will actually entail thoughts from a collaboration of days during the last week.  I guess I could call it a "weekbook" reflection.  ;-)

September in New England is my favorite month of the year!  The warmth of the summer lingers with beautiful balmy days to enjoy, and the comforting sound of crickets outside my bedroom window as I fall asleep.   Intermingled with the warm days, occasional hints of cool, crisp Autumn days with brilliant blue skies, and the noticeable change in the sun, lower in the sky now, casting beautiful streams of light through the windows of my kitchen, setting earlier and earlier.  

He made the moon to mark the seasons; the sun knows it's time for setting.  Psalm 104:19.

What simple pleasures have I lingered over?
  • Mountains of New Hampshire.  (A rarity for us flatlanders.)  ;-)
  • A house to myself - reading Pride and Prejudice.
  • New dish rack filled with clean dishes.  (Yes, you read that right.  Our dishwasher broke and we had to buy a dish rack and hand wash our dishes, but to me, there is just something so homey about dishes in a dish rack.)
  • Listening to nursery rhyme songs with my precious six month old granddaughter
  • New butterfly bush that has suddenly sprung up in the sand where our pool once stood.
  • Sweet, gentle sparrows searching in the grass.
  • Sunset at our favorite park
  • Gaggle of baby turkeys
  • White puffy clouds on the first refreshing day after a long humid stretch



God saw all that He had made, and it was very good.  
Genesis 1:31

What have I pondered?

While on vacation we visited the Canterbury Shaker Village.  (The picture right above is the beautiful pond that was part of the property.)  My husband and I have visited several of the Shaker Villages and I have heard the tenets of their religion explained numerous times which was to create a "heaven on earth" by doing everything perfect.  We as believers know that the only perfect person was Christ Jesus, the perfect sinless lamb who died for the imperfect sinner.  When we make Jesus Lord of our lives,  our desire shifts to one of obedience to the will of God.  

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.  
Colossians 3:17

However, it is not our "striving for perfection" that saves us.  It is only the sacrificial death on the cross of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.

But what I found myself struck by for the first time was another aspect of how they sought to "create a heaven on earth" and that was the way they lived relationally.   If a family unit was to join the Shakers, they would no longer be a family as husband, wife, mother or father, but would live communally, no longer with a special attachment to their intimate family, but now all part of one big family.  This was always something that bothered me and I couldn't comprehend how anyone could join something and their children or their husband would no longer belong to them.   God did not intend a man and woman who while in their earthly bodies vowed before God to become one in marriage, to break that vow for a religion and live no longer married.  I understand that and don't condone it, but it did give me pause to ponder...

It made me realize how tightly I hold onto my husband, children and grandchild, yet they belong to God.  The One I should be holding onto the tightest is my Heavenly Father. Too often I place my family above my love for God.   My life on earth should be one of worshiping and honoring my Lord and Savior in all that I do and say in preparation for Heaven where I will no longer be married or be a parent, but will have great fellowship with all the other children of God in the bright shining light of Jesus singing Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty!

What am I relying on the Lord for?

My upcoming annual physical.  Yes, this usually strikes fear in me, and more so this year because I am going to a new doctor.  The Lord has blessed me with incredibly good health, and I have no current concerns.  This is just a "well visit".   But I still can get myself so worked up when I go to the doctor which is why I have been told I have "white coat syndrome" where my blood pressure goes sky high.  Unfortunately, at my age now, they would be more inclined to put me on medication, especially being a new doctor who doesn't know my history.  But I am relying on the Lord to:

...accomplish what concerns me.  
Psalm 138:8

...do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? 
 I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.  
Isaiah 43:19

...go ahead of me; He will be with me.  He will not fail me or forsake me.  
Do not fear or be dismayed.
Deuteronomy 31:8

What I am waiting on God for?

Discerning the will of God concerning a possible full-time ministry opportunity for my husband.

Seek the Lord while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near.  Isaiah 55:6

A healing touch on someone I love.

Praise the Lord O my soul and forget not His benefits who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion.  
Psalm 103:2-4


I offer these thoughts to my God and Savior in praise of His creation, moments enjoyed, and His great promises, and to the Holy Spirit who brought to my remembrance all that God has done for me this past week.

"May the mind of Christ my Savior,
Live in me from day to day,
By His love and pow'r controlling
All I do and say."
Kate B. Wilkinson


You might find me on these link-ups:
Grace & Truth Link-upWoman to Woman Ministries,  Growing in Grace Link-up, 3DLessonsLif4eLivefree Thursday,Everyday JesusSDG GatheringInspire Me Monday Titus 2 TuesdayA Wise Women Builds Her HomeA Look at the Book,  Sunday StillnessThe Weekend BrewSpiritual Sundays, Soul Survival,  Give Me GraceA Little R&RTestimony TuesdayWomen with Intention WednesdaysStill SaturdayGood Morning MondaysTell His StoryBlessings Counter Link-up Party,Faith & Fellowship Blog HopMotivate and Rejuvenate MondaysBe SaltyMonday's MusingsThe Art of Home-Making MondayTuesday TalkWaiting on Wednesday,Dance with Jesus,Looking Up Link-UpReflect His Love and Glory Friend Sharpens Friend Link-UpWords of Comfort Link-upWholehearted WednesdaysTell it to Me TuesdayFaithful at Home FridaysSo Much At Home Link-UpLiteracy Musing Mondays

Comments

  1. Gorgeous photo's and I loved your reflections as well! Praying for your doctor appointment and eagerly awaiting Fall way out west as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karrilee, Thank you so much for your kind words!

      And it means so much that you would lift me up in prayer concerning my doctor's appointment. Thank you!

      I have been blessed by your visit. :-)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post and words! I love simple pleasures from God that make the day so much more enjoyable :)

    Alexis @ www.chemistrycachet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexis, Thank you so much! Indeed, simple pleasures make a day blessed.

      Thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Karen, I loved these reflections! They brought my heart "home" to meditate on the simple joys that the Lord gives to us through Him in the everyday . . . such precious treasures. Autumn in New England is such a nostalgic, beautiful time for me, as well . . . He has given us such beauty and I see His hand in and through the seasons. Praise Him!

    Have a wonderful week--praying for your doctor's appointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bekki, Thank you so much! The Lord truly does show us the beauty of Himself in the quietest and simplest ways.

      I appreciate so much your prayers! I have been lifting your prayer request up to the Lord as well. :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The ones on the Shakers was so interesting. I didn't know that about them and I enjoyed reading your insights as well.

    Beautiful photos too!

    I'm visiting from the 'Word Filled Wednesday' link-up : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, Thank you for your kind and encouraging words! They mean a lot!

      So glad you stopped by to visit today. :-)

      Delete
  5. It is such a dear blessing to be able to stop and share what God has laid upon your heart! I loved the pictures, too! :) So thankful for you, sweet friend, and your precious heart for God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, Thank you so much!

      As soon as I see your name, it always brings an instant smile to my face. :-)

      Blessings to you.

      Delete
  6. Karen, I have always been fascinated by the Shakers and the Quakers, the Mennonites too, but have really not researched the tenets of their faith thoroughly. I find what you share and your reflections most interesting, causing me to want to understand more.
    Your photos are lovely and thinking about Fall. We just got a slight change here in south TX. It is still hot, but a bit better, giving us hope that summer is ending...will end!
    Will hold you in prayer for your appointment as well.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers. I appreciate them so much!

      I've only visited Houston in June and it was the hottest weather I ever experienced in my life! Lol. Glad you are getting hints of fall where you are in south Texas. 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Popular Posts